Investigators combed through the home of Las Vegas killer Stephen Paddock a second time on Sunday, Oct. 8 and met his brother for a second round of questioning as they continue to hunt for the motive for the worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history.
Officers with the Mesquite Police Department re-searched the three-bedroom house in Mesquite, Nevada, for “re-documenting and rechecking,” police Chief Troy Tanner told the Associated Press.
“I don’t think they are after anything specific,” Tanner said. “They’re going through everything and photographing everything again.”
Federal investigators found 19 firearms in the home during the first search on Monday, Oct. 2.
FBI agents also met with Paddock’s brother Eric Paddock for another round of questions after he arrived in Las Vegas to pick up the killer’s remains, according to the Las Vegas Review-Journal.
Eric Paddock said he answered questions for about four hours during a session with FBI, a Las Vegas police detective, and a psychologist.
“I’m trying to get them to understand Steve’s mindset,” Paddock told the Review-Journal. “I don’t want them to chase bad leads.”
Lights Dimmed to Honor Victims
On Sunday, the marquee lights along the Las Vegas Strip dimmed for 11 minutes from 10:05 p.m. until 10:16 p.m., the exact time and duration of the gunfire one week ago.
— Rep. Ruben J. Kihuen (@RepKihuen) October 9, 2017
Some of the hotels and casinos on the Strip dimmed their lights and displayed a message that read: ‘When Things Get Dark Las Vegas Shines.’
Investigators still lack a clear reason as to why Paddock, 64, unleashed a torrent of gunfire into a crowd of 22,000 at the Route 91 Harvest country music festival. The suspect shot himself to death before police stormed his 32nd-floor suite in the Mandalay Bay Casino and Resort, high above the concert venue.
Fifty-eight people died and nearly 500 were injured.
Concertgoers Claim Personal Items
The FBI on Sunday started returning thousands of purses, phones, and other property left behind by concertgoers in Las Vegas as the Red Cross stepped up efforts to reach those traumatized by the Oct. 1 massacre.
The process of returning items left behind by those who fled in the chaos could take weeks, authorities said.
So many phones, backpacks, lawn chairs, and other items were left behind that the Federal Bureau of Investigation has divided the huge crime scene into four quadrants, releasing items from only one of them at a time, starting on Sunday, FBI Victims Services chief Paul Flood said.
Before release, the items had to be cleaned of blood and other substances, as well as categorized, Flood said. Property from just one quadrant of the scene filled seven delivery-sized trucks, he said, and required the attention of dozens of investigators.
Authorities began returning vehicles left at the concert grounds to their owners last week.
Unlike so many other perpetrators of deadly mass shootings before him, Paddock left behind no suicide note, no manifesto, no recordings, and no messages on social media pointing to his intent, according to police.
Paddock used a device known as a bump stock to make 12 of his rifles operate more like automatic weapons, which are outlawed in the United States.
Teams of counselors fanned out across the city, attending church services and gathering at a family assistance center set up at the Las Vegas Convention Center as the Red Cross set out to find those in need of comfort. Spiritual and legal advisers were also available.
“We’re past the response portion of this horrible incident,” Clark County Emergency Manager John Steinbeck said at a news conference. “We’re moving into the recovery now.”
“A week into this, a lot of people have been numb,” said Red Cross spokesman Bill Fortune, who flew in from Colorado to help with the recovery effort. “Some of those emotional crises are just showing up today, where people can’t get out of bed. People have called saying they can’t be in crowds.”
Reuters contributed to this report.