Anders Breivik Planned 3 Car Bombs for Oslo

April 19, 2012 Updated: October 1, 2015
The crater from Breivik's bomb in Oslo
The crater created by the bomb placed by Anders Behring Breivik outside the government offices in Oslo, Norway on July 22. On the fourth day of his trial, Breivik said he originally planned three bombs. (Heiko Junge/AFP/Getty Images)

Anders Behring Breivik, the self-confessed mass killer in last year’s Norway attacks, said he originally planned to detonate three car bombs but could only manage to set off one.

The car bomb that went off in Oslo’s government district killed eight people. Right after he set off the bomb, Breivik went to Utoya island and shot dead 69 people.

On day four of the trial, Breivik, 33, told the court that he wanted “three car bombs, followed by a firearm-based action,” the London Telegraph reported.

“I settled on the palace in a setting where the royal family wouldn’t be hurt,” he said. “Most nationalists and cultural conservatives are supporters of the monarchy, including myself.”

However, he could not make two additional bombs because it was “more difficult than expected” to construct an explosive.

“When I reached a situation where it was impossible to make more than one bomb, it resulted in a strategy of one bomb and one shooting-based action,” he said.

Breivik also said he wanted to capture the murder of former prime minister Gro Harlem Brundtland, who was visiting Utoya, on video and upload it to the Internet.

“The plan was to behead Gro Harlem Brundtland while it was being filmed,” he said, according to Sky News.