Ottawa Blocks Executive Appointment at Chinese-Owned Laser Company in Quebec on Security Grounds

Ottawa Blocks Executive Appointment at Chinese-Owned Laser Company in Quebec on Security Grounds
Industry Minister Mélanie Joly speaks during a funding announcement for space technology at MDA in Montreal, on June 30, 2026. The Canadian Press/Graham Hughes
|Updated:
0:00

A Quebec laser company acquired by a Chinese firm in 2016 is taking the federal government to court after Ottawa blocked the proposed appointment of an executive to its board on national security grounds.

The federal government imposed security-related conditions on the acquisition of CorActive High Tech Inc. in 2017, after Chinese company Han’s Laser Technology Industry Group acquired a majority stake in November 2016.

CorActive High Tech Inc. manufactures specialized fibre-laser and optical fibre technology.

Industry Minister Mélanie Joly blocked the proposed appointment of Xiaokai “Denver” Zeng to CorActive’s board in June, citing concerns that sensitive technology could be transferred in ways that “benefit foreign militaries,” according to court filings. Zeng heads Han’s Laser Corp., the U.S. subsidiary of China-based Han’s Laser Technology Industry Group. Zeng became an American citizen in 2024.

In a Federal Court filing seeking judicial review, CorActive says the decision to block Zeng’s appointment was “substantively unreasonable” and is asking the court to quash the decision, according to documents provided to the Epoch Times.

Ottawa’s approval of the Han’s Laser acquisition saw both companies commit to restrictions intended to block sensitive technology from being transferred in ways that could benefit foreign militaries. This included granting Ottawa authority to decide on any approvals of non-Canadians to the CorActive board.

The court application also says past attempts to appoint Zeng to the board in 2024 and 2025 were “rejected without reasons” and says he has already undergone security screening in the United States.

“This included review by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, U.S. Department of Homeland Security and other U.S. government agencies,” the application says. “This recent, rigorous, screening by Canada’s closest security partner demonstrates the absence of any legitimate concerns about Mr. Zeng.”

“There is no reasonable basis to conclude that Mr. Zeng’s appointment would give rise to any improper transfer of sensitive CorActive technology,” the application said.

Second Court Challenge

CorActive says that having Zeng on its board will assist the company in “staying competitive” as it is experiencing declining sales and losing several key employees.

The court filing states that Zeng’s extensive experience and links with the parent company will make sure “capital is applied strategically, safeguarding the future of the business and high-tech Canadian jobs.”

Court documents show Han’s Laser has invested roughly $11 million in CorActive since acquiring it in 2016.

CorActive also filed a second court challenge late last month against the federal government’s decision to renew the security conditions imposed when it was acquired by Han’s Laser in 2017.

The two cases are related because the restriction on appointing Zeng stems from the broader conditions imposed under the 2017 undertaking, but they challenge separate federal decisions.

In the second challenge, CorActive says the overwhelming majority of its sales are for telecommunications and industrial uses rather than defence. It says it made only one sale to a defence customer outside Canada in 2025, in a deal worth less than $30,000.

“CorActive’s technology is no longer sensitive in nature, as demonstrated by the fact that Han’s Laser has almost entirely stopped purchasing CorActive technology, despite owning CorActive,” the second application reads, adding that there’s “no reasonable basis” to think there could be an “unauthorized transfer of sensitive CorActive technology” that could benefit foreign militaries.

U.S. government records show that prior to its takeover by Han’s Laser, CorActive fulfilled several five-figure contracts to supply the U.S. military with fibre-optic technology in 2008, 2009, 2012, and 2014.

The company now says it is falling behind competitors in Europe, China, Canada and the United States, partly because the security conditions imposed by Ottawa in 2017 have made it more difficult to secure investment and support from its Chinese parent company.

Since being acquired by Han’s Laser, CorActive announced a $34 million expansion in the Quebec City area in 2021 that it said would increase production by 500 percent and create 30 new jobs.
The firm also retained former Liberal cabinet minister Don Boudria as a consultant with Hill+Knowlton Strategies in 2017 to arrange meetings with government officials regarding regulatory approval of a company restructuring under the Investment Canada Act, according to federal lobbying records.

‘More Vigilant’

The year after Han’s Laser acquired CorActive, Ottawa cleared China-based Hytera Communications’ acquisition of Vancouver-based satellite communications company Norsat International, despite warnings from U.S. lawmakers that Canada should be “more vigilant” about national security risks associated with Chinese companies.

Norsat supplied satellite and radio communications technology to government and military customers, including the U.S. Department of Defense. Following Hytera’s acquisition, the Pentagon reviewed its contracts with Norsat and said it took appropriate measures where necessary.

Then-Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said an initial government review of the takeover unearthed “no significant national security concerns” and didn’t require any further reviews.

Canada’s decision not to immediately follow its Five Eyes allies in restricting Chinese telecommunications company Huawei’s involvement in 5G networks became another point of tension.

The United States began imposing significant restrictions on Huawei in 2018, including limits on federal procurement, and expanded those measures in 2019 and 2020 to restrict the company’s access to U.S. technology and telecommunications networks.

In 2019, then-U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Washington might limit its intelligence sharing with nations who permitted Huawei access to its critical infrastructure. Canada continued to consider whether or not to permit Huawei to use its 5G networks until 2022, when it announced that Huawei and ZTE equipment wouldn’t be allowed on Canadian 5G networks due to “serious concerns.”

Australia barred Huawei and Chinese telecommunications equipment maker ZTE from its 5G networks in 2018 and New Zealand followed suit soon after. The UK imposed initial restrictions on Huawei in January 2020 and removed the company from its 5G networks later the same year.

The federal government has made other decisions on Chinese foreign ownership and investment since the CorActive and Norsat deals. This included ordering three Chinese investors to divest their investments in Canadian critical-mineral companies in November 2022 and ordering Chinese surveillance camera firm Hikvision to cease doing business in Canada after a national security review.
Meanwhile, a previous decision to order the winding up of TikTok Technology Canada in November 2024 over national security concerns related to its parent company, ByteDance, was reversed in March 2026. Joly announced that TikTok Canada could continue operating in Canada, subject to new legally binding measures to strengthen data security and protect Canadian users’ personal information.
Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED) says the Investment Canada Act gives Ottawa authority to decide whether large foreign investments benefit Canada and authorize national security reviews for investments of all sizes.
“Some information on national security reviews conducted each year under the Investment Canada Act is available in the act annual reports,” the department told The Canadian Press with regard to the CorActive case. “Due to the confidentiality provisions of the act, the government cannot comment on specific transactions.”

The Epoch Times reached out to the ISED and Joly for comment but didn’t hear back by publication time.

The Canadian Press contributed to this report.