‘Young College Student Dies From Marijuana Overdose’ a Satire, Not Real

January 8, 2014 Updated: July 18, 2015

The “Young College Student Dies From Marijuana Overdose” story published on Wednesday is a satire article, not real.

It’s impossible to overdose on marijuana. 

“Lethal overdoses from Cannabis and cannabinoids do not occur,” according to a report from the National Cancer Institute.

Cannabis is another name for marijuana, and also encompasses hemp, the male version of pot which contains minimal amounts of THC.

The website that published the report, Huzlers.com, is a satire website in the same vein as The Onion.

“Huzlers.com is a combination of real shocking news and satire news to keep its visitors in a state of disbelief,” the disclaimer on the website says.

The satire article says Aleczander Reyes, a college student in Dallas, “was the first person in history to overdose from marijuana.”

“He purchased 1 gram of ‘triple og ice cream killa kush.’ Before the accident he updated his Facebook status saying ‘I’m about to smoke this blunt! of some killa!’ young Aleczander was found dead in his restroom. Investigators say the amount of Marijuana Aleczander consumed was small but the THC level was high enough to kill a bear.”

Even if it were possibly to overdose on marijuana, one gram is a very small amount. 

Other satire reports have emerged since Colorado legalized marijuana, including one about 37 people dying during the first day of legalization.

Follow Zachary on Twitter: @zackstieber