Last Two Bodies of Italian Divers Killed in Scuba Diving Accident Recovered, Maldives Says

The last two bodies of the Italian divers killed in the ‌Maldives’ deadliest-ever diving accident have been recovered.
Last Two Bodies of Italian Divers Killed in Scuba Diving Accident Recovered, Maldives Says
Damiano Francovigh, Ambassador of Italy to Sri Lanka and non-resident Ambassador to the Maldives, and medical staff watch an ambulance carrying the bodies of the last two Italian scuba divers who died in an accident in underwater caves, outside a mortuary in Male, Maldives, on May 20, 2026. Thilina Kaluthotage/Reuters
|Updated:
0:00

MALE, May ‌20—The last two bodies of the Italian divers killed in the ‌Maldives’ deadliest-ever diving accident have been recovered, ⁠a government spokesperson said on Wednesday, completing recovery efforts.

The divers were among a group of five who ​entered a deepwater cave for exploration last week, after being granted ⁠the necessary permit to research soft corals in the Devana Kandu site.