Australia Arrests Man Accused of Trying to Sell Missile Parts for North Korea

Australia Arrests Man Accused of Trying to Sell Missile Parts for North Korea
The Australian Federal Police arrested 59-year-old Sydney man Chan Han Choi on Saturday, Dec. 16, for allegedly acting as an economic agent for the North Korean regime. It is the first time a person has been charged under the Weapons of Mass Destruction Act in Australia. (AFP)AFP
|Updated:

MELBOURNE–Australian police said on Sunday they had arrested a man accused of working on the black market to sell missile components and coal on behalf of North Korea–the first charges ever brought in Australia over the sale of weapons of mass destruction.

The man had been charged with two counts under the Weapons of Mass Destruction (Prevention of Proliferation) Act 1995 (Cth) that prevents the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, police said, and with another four under legislation enforcing United Nations and Australian sanctions against North Korea.