Former President Donald Trump will set up his own social media platform and will return to posting online in two to three months, his adviser and spokesman Jason Miller said in a new interview.
For years, Trump favored Twitter and had amassed nearly 90 million followers before the social media platform suspended him in January. Facebook, YouTube, Twitch, Snapchat, and others also moved to suspend the former president; meanwhile, Trump hasn't indicated that he would use other social media websites favored by conservatives such as Gab, MeWe, or Parler.
Miller, who is Trump's most prominent spokesman, didn't elaborate or offer a possible name for the social media venture.
Since Twitter suspended his account, the former president has instead opted to release press statements via advisers and email. For the most part, Trump has released statements endorsing his favored political candidates for the 2022 midterm elections.
Also in the interview, Miller said that Trump still holds a considerable amount of sway in the Republican Party.
"He's already had over 20 senators, over 50 members of Congress call ... or make the pilgrimage to Mar-a-Lago," he said. "Pay attention to Georgia on Monday [March 22]," as there is a "big endorsement coming."
In an interview last month, Trump said he's "negotiating with a number of people, and there’s also the other option of building your own [social media] site." He added, "Because we have more people than anybody. I mean you can literally build your own site."
Trump speculated that Parler wouldn't be able to handle the amount of traffic he would bring to the website. “Mechanically, they can’t handle” the number of users, he noted in the interview.
The former president provided a lengthy interview last week, saying that he hasn't decided whether he will run for the White House in 2024.