Former President Donald Trump is considering joining a new social media platform but stated he might create his own—coming after he was suspended by Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and other Big Tech websites last month.
“We’re negotiating with a number of people, and there’s also the other option of building your own site. Because we have more people than anybody. I mean you can literally build your own site,” Trump said, adding that he is considering building his own platform.
However, he speculated that Parler would not be able to handle the amount of traffic he would bring to the website. "Mechanically, they can't handle" the number of users, Trump noted in the interview.
Trump added that "if you look at what's going on with Twitter, I understand it’s become very boring and millions of people are leaving. They’re leaving it because it’s not the same, and I can understand that." Before his account was deleted, Trump had one of the most followed Twitter accounts and generated a significant amount of engagement.
“I would expect that we will see the president reemerge on social media,” Miller told Breitbart News on Feb. 6. “Whether that’s joining an existing platform or creating his new platform, there are a number of different options and a number of different meetings that they’ve been having on that front. Nothing is imminent on that.”
When Trump was banned from Big Tech platforms, they said it was because the former president's comments could have incited violence in the wake of the Jan. 6 Capitol breach—although Trump denounced the riots several times and called on protesters to demonstrate peacefully.
But bans handed down by Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, and others drew considerable criticism from civil liberties organizations and conservatives, arguing that if these firms could ban the president, then any user could be banned for nearly any reason.