A Texas city was told not to drink tap water after a 6-year-old boy died from a brain-eating amoeba that was found in the water supply.
"The City of Lake Jackson, County of Brazoria, Texas, is facing significant threats to life, health and property due to contaminated drinking water," the city said in its emergency request to Gov. Greg Abbott. "The impact of this threat is severe. The potential damages include: sickness and death."
“We just want people to be aware that it’s out there,” his grandmother, Natalie McIntyre, said on Saturday. “If you’ve been exposed or possibly exposed and you experience those symptoms, get to a hospital and let somebody know.”
- Do not allow water to go up your nose or sniff water into your nose when bathing, showering, washing your face, or swimming.
- Do not jump into or put your head under bathing water.
- Do not allow children to play with hoses, sprinklers, or any toy or device that may accidentally squirt water up the nose.
- Do run bath and shower taps and hoses for 5 minutes before use to flush out the pipes.
- Do keep small, hard plastic/blow-up pools clean by emptying, scrubbing, and allowing them to dry after each use.
- Do use only boiled and cooled, distilled, or sterile water for making sinus rinse solutions for neti pots or performing ritual ablutions.
- Do keep swimming pools adequately disinfected before and during use. Adequate disinfection means:
- Pools: free chlorine at 1-3 parts per million (ppm) and pH 7.2-7.8; and
- Hot tubs/spas: free chlorine 2-4 parts per million (ppm) or free bromine 4-6 ppm and pH 7.2-7.8.