Tom Hanks, Rita Wilson Released From Hospital: Spokesperson

March 16, 2020 Updated: March 27, 2020
FONT BFONT SText size

Tom Hanks and his wife Rita Wilson confirmed they have been released from the hospital days after announcing their respective coronavirus diagnoses.

A spokesperson for Hanks told The Hollywood Reporter and Fox News on Monday that the couple is self-quarantining at their home in Australia.

Hanks, 63, wrote on Instagram over the weekend that “I want to thank everyone here Down Under who are taking such good care of us. We have Covid-19 and are in isolation so we do not spread it to anyone else.”

“There are those for whom it could lead to a very serious illness. We are taking it one-day-at-a-time. There are things we can all do to get through this by following the advice of experts and taking care of ourselves and each other, no? Remember, despite all the current events, there is no crying in baseball,” he said on Instagram.

In a statement last week, the Academy Award-winning actor said, “Hello, folks. Rita and I are down here in Australia. We felt a bit tired, like we had colds, and some body aches. Rita had some chills that came and went. Slight fevers too. To play things right, as is needed in the world right now, we were tested for the Coronavirus, and were found to be positive.”

Hanks said he and his wife contracted the virus while filming a new movie in Australia.

The update on Hanks’ case comes as actor Idris Elba wrote that he tested positive for COVID-19, the disease caused by the Wuhan coronavirus.

“This morning I tested positive for Covid 19. I feel ok, I have no symptoms so far but have been isolated since I found out about my possible exposure to the virus,” Elba, 47, wrote on Twitter on Monday.