March 23, 2023 China in Focus
‘TikTok Should Be Banned’: Lawmakers Grill TikTok CEO
TikTok’s CEO was grilled on Capitol Hill Thursday, and said the app is not a national security threat to the United States. Lawmakers were not convinced. From children dead after viral challenges to millions of young Americans vying to keep the app, TikTok is back under scrutiny. To ban or not to ban is still the question. As user data concerns rise, TikTok is offering a new solution: Project Texas. But will that really safeguard U.S. data?
Topics in this episode:
- ‘TikTok Should Be Banned’: Lawmakers Grill Tiktok CEO
- ‘Great Stalking Horse’: Gen. Stilwell on TikTok’s Access to U.S. Info
- What Happens to Outspoken Businessmen in China?
- Zooming in on Beijing’s AI Ambitions, U.S. Pushback
- China Reports 1st Co-Infection of Omicron Subvariants
- U.S. Official: No Imminent Threat of Attack on Taiwan
- U.S. Focused on Military Gear Sales to Taiwan: Blinken
- Important to Distinguish Chip Users in China: Ezell