The CCP Virus’s Domino Effect on McDonald’s

May 18, 2020 Updated: May 18, 2020

Fast food restaurant McDonald’s has been forced to shut 12 outlets across Melbourne after a delivery driver tested positive for COVID-19.

The chain will deep-clean the stores where the driver made deliveries while he was asymptomatic and unaware that he had the virus.

This follows two other McDonald’s closures at restaurants in suburbs Fawkner and Craigieburn after 11 COVID-19 cases emerged.

The Fawkner store reopened in five days with different staff, after a deep cleaning.

Two days later, McDonald’s closed Craigieburn after learning of another infected worker. The worker is a relative of one of the staff members in Fawkner who had earlier tested positive for the virus.

The health advice remains that customers need not be overly concerned. Victoria’s Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said that they have a very low chance of catching COVID-19 through staff members.

“Extensive testing has shown that people who have passed through places where there was a confirmed case, known as casual contacts, have an extremely low risk of transmission and are not currently recommended for testing.

“This will help to ensure our hospitals, assessment centres and general practitioners can prioritise testing for those most at risk,” Sutton said.

Another fast food store in Melbourne, Domino’s Pizza, decided to shut its Fairfield store for a minimum of 14 days after being notified that a worker had tested positive for COVID-19.

Domino’s informed all team members and families, and advised them to self-isolate and get tested.

Meanwhile, Cedar Meats in Melbourne will begin reopening after 100 cases were linked to the facility.

These cases come as, from June 1, Victorians were allowed to head out to enjoy food and drinks inside bars, restaurants, and cafes, for the first time in weeks, starting with up to 20 people.