The National Basketball Association (NBA) is investigating allegations that Oklahoma City Thunder guard Josh Giddey has a relationship with an underage girl, a league spokesperson said Nov. 24.
The investigation was prompted by a social media post that said a girl who is seen with Giddey in photos and videos with the Australian basketball player was a high school junior at the time.
The social media account of the anonymous user was deactivated after the post went viral.
The age of consent in Oklahoma is 16 years, according to Oklahoma Criminal Defense. This would make it illegal for someone age 15 years or younger to have consensual sex with an adult who is at least 18 years old. However, the age of the girl in the video is unclear.
“We’re looking into it,” Michael Bass, an NBA spokesman, said Friday.
Mr. Giddey, 21, practiced with the Thunder on Friday but declined comment.
“Yeah, I mean, I understand the question, obviously,” he said. “But there’s no further comment right now.”
When asked again, he said: “I get the question guys. I completely understand you guys want to know about it. But just for right now, I don’t have anything to say.”
Thunder coach Mark Daigneault said it was a personal matter and he had no comment.
The Melbourne native is averaging 12.3 points, 5.7 rebounds, and 4.5 assists per game this season. In his three years with Oklahoma City, he has averaged 14.6 points, 7.6 rebounds, and 6.1 assists in 145 regular-season games.
Wander Franco Placed on Administrative LeaveIn August, Tampa Bay Rays shortstop Wander Franco was placed on administrative leave indefinitely by Major League Baseball while authorities in the Dominican Republic investigate the All-Star for an alleged relationship with a minor.
MLB launched an investigation after social media posts alleged Mr. Franco, 22, was in a relationship with a younger woman in the Dominican Republic.
“We support any steps taken by the league to better understand the situation,” the Rays said in a statement on Aug. 14. “Out of respect for all parties involved, we have no further comments at this time.”
Mr. Franco will be paid and receive service time while on administrative leave under an agreement with the players’ association that did not set a timetable for a decision on whether he will be disciplined by MLB.
The All-Star was previously placed on the restricted list for a week on Aug. 14. MLB said the shift to administrative leave was not disciplinary under the sport’s joint domestic violence, sexual assault, and child abuse policy.
The MLB could wait until the Dominican Republic investigation is concluded before deciding whether there will be any discipline.
Mr. Franco has salaries of $2 million this season as part of a $182 million, 11-year contract that started in 2022.
He is in his third big league season and is hitting .281 with 17 homers, 58 RBIs and 30 stolen bases in 40 attempts over 112 games.