South Korean PM Nominee Announces Withdrawal

By Loretta Duchamps
Loretta Duchamps
Loretta Duchamps
August 29, 2010 Updated: October 1, 2015

South Korean prime minister-designate, Kim Tae-Ho, speaks during his confirmation hearing at parliament in Seoul on August 24.  (Kim Kyung-JE/Getty Images)
South Korean prime minister-designate, Kim Tae-Ho, speaks during his confirmation hearing at parliament in Seoul on August 24. (Kim Kyung-JE/Getty Images)
Prime minister-designate Kim Tae-ho, nominated on Aug. 8, announced the withdrawal of his candidacy on Sunday after being accused of corruption at his confirmation hearings last week.

“I decided to give up nomination for the post of prime minister in order not to be an obstacle to the president’s carrying out of state affairs,” said Kim at a press conference, according to The Korea Herald.

The 47-year-old is accused of illegally taking bank loans in order to finance political campaigns. Lawmakers have also accused Kim of using local government employees to carry out his household chores, and his spouse is accused of misusing government employees and vehicles for her own use.

The charges, that also include tax evasion, have been denied by Kim.

“I deeply regret having caused trouble to the public with my own problems,” said Kim according to The Korea Herald.

A few hours after the withdrawal of Kim, Shin Jae-min and Lee Jae-hoon, two other designated nominees of President Lee Myung-bak, followed suit and also offered their withdrawals. Shin and Lee are accused of scandals including false residence registration.