Snapchat is permanently removing President Donald Trump from its platform.
“Last week we announced an indefinite suspension of President Trump’s Snapchat account, and have been assessing what long term action is in the best interest of our Snapchat community,” a spokesperson told news outlets.
“In the interest of public safety, and based on his attempts to spread misinformation, hate speech, and incite violence, which are clear violations of our guidelines, we have made the decision to permanently terminate his account.”
Jason Miller, a Trump campaign adviser, panned the move, saying it is “about as damaging as being banned from Quibi.”
Snapchat announced last year it wouldn’t promote Trump’s content any longer, claiming some of his posts were “glorifying violence.”
Twitter permanently banned Trump last week, while Facebook disabled his account “indefinitely.” Trump was also subject to action by a host of other companies, such as Instagram and YouTube.
Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey acknowledged on Wednesday the ban set a “dangerous” precedent.
Trump told reporters this week that large technology companies are “doing a horrible thing for our country and to our country.”
“They’re dividing and divisive, and they’re showing something that I’ve been predicting for a long time. I’ve been predicting it for a long time, and people didn’t act on it,” he said.
Trump tried to push through a reform or elimination of Section 230 of the Communication Decency Act, which protects tech companies from most lawsuits. Congress blocked his efforts.
Since being banned from most social media outlets, Trump has been issuing statements through staffers. Trump said in a tweet just before he was banned that he would “look at the possibilities of building out our own platform in the near future.”