Senior Australian Health Official in North Queensland Suspended

By AAP
AAP
AAP
Australian Associated Press is an Australian news agency.
December 10, 2021 Updated: December 10, 2021

A senior health official has been stood down in northern Queensland following an independent review in a move labelled by the opposition as “deeply concerning.”

The Mackay Hospital and Health Service has confirmed its executive director of medical services Prof. Phillip Reasbeck has been “suspended from duty.”

An independent review into Mackay Base Hospital’s obstetrics and gynaecology was launched in October after complaints about complications from caesareans and allegations of patient harm.

It has not been revealed whether the suspension of Reasbeck—who acts as the region’s chief medical officer—is connected to the review.

The hospital’s accreditation to train specialist obstetricians and gynaecologists was suspended and at least one doctor had been suspended ahead of the probe that was ordered by Mackay HHS CEO Lisa Davies Jones.

“Given a formal suspension process has commenced, it would not be appropriate to make further comment at this time,” she said in a statement.

“I would like to reassure the community there is no impact on their care or on clinical services.”

Mackay HHS executive director of research and innovation Dr. David Farlow will act in Reasbeck’s role “until further notice.”

Queensland Opposition Health Minister Ros Bates said the suspension was “deeply concerning.”

“This development once again proves the Queensland health crisis is real and is affecting Queenslanders every day,” she said in a statement.

“The findings of that investigation must be released in full to the public.

“It’s time the state government started listening and taking ownership for the Queensland health crisis.”

AAP
Australian Associated Press is an Australian news agency.