Rangers and Sun Pegasus notch up wins in HKFA Premier League

Association football—Hong Kong
By Allan Jackson
Allan Jackson
Allan Jackson
September 24, 2014 Updated: September 24, 2014

HONG KONG—Sunday Sept 21, 2014 saw the next games of the inaugural Premier League season where Rangers took on last year’s second division champions Wo Foo Tai Po, and Sun Pegasus took on the other promoted team Wong Tai Sin.

Rangers went into the lead in their game with Wo Foo Tai Po at Sham Shui Po Sports ground in the 4th minute when James Ha headed in after Yago Lopez’s pass hit the bar and dropped into the goalmouth.

Wo Foo Tai Po equalised in the 37th minute when Choi Kwok-waid headed in after Vincent Weijl’s corner was headed towards the goal, and resulted in the teams going into the half time break tied at 1-all. Rangers regained the lead in the 61st minute when Yago Lopez converted James Ha’s cross, whilst Wong Yiu-fu completed the scoring in the 95th minute to wrap up a 3-1 win for Rangers.

In the day’s other premier league match at Mongkok Stadium between Sun Pegasus and Wong Tai Sin, the game was settled in the 69th minute when Sun Pegasus striker Admir Rascic converted a cross from substitute Petrisor Voiner to start their campaign with a 1-nil victory.

HKFA First Division
In the weekend’s first division games, Saturday night’s game between HKFC and Yau Tsim Mong ended 1-all. In Sunday’s games Shatin won 2-nil over Tai Chung, Citizen won 3-2 against Kwai Tsing, Southern beat Lucky Mile 4-3, Kwun Tong draw 0-all against Happy Valley, Double Flower won 4-nil against Sun Hei, and Metro Gallery Sun Source won 2-nil over Tuen Mun.

In the game on Happy Valley pitch 6, Lucky Mile took the lead after 16 minutes when Martin Reiziger drove a 25 yard free kick into the top right hand corner of the net. Southern equalised after 23 minutes from a free kick awarded on the left side of the pitch which was driven at cross bar height to the far post where the centre forward headed the ball into the roof of the net.

The likely outcome of the game was impacted in the 40th minute when Lucky Mile’s Scott Hooper was given a second yellow card for a foul and sent off when the red card was shown. However, Lucky Mile held on until the half time break with the scores tied 1-all.

Lucky Mile regained the lead in the 50th minute when Reiziger converted his second dead ball kick of the game, and increased their lead in the 57th minute when a free kick into the penalty box was knocked down for Mark Vinod to score with a left foot strike.

Southern then mounted a series of attacks to try to get something out of the game, and
were rewarded in the 62nd minute when a loose ball was forced into the net.

Lucky Mile continued to withstand the pressure for an equalizer, but after the ball was worked down the Southern right wing in the 85th minute the final cross was driven into the box where it struck a hand and a penalty was awarded, and duly converted. As the game moved into added stoppage time a Southern defender struck a vicious drive from outside the left hand edge of the box which hit the underside of the bar and bounced down, before being cleared—the linesman immediately signalled that the ball had crossed the line, and the referee awarded the goal, leaving only time for the subsequent kick off before whistling for the end of the game and a 4-3 win for Southern.

HKFA 2nd Division
In the second division, Sai Kung lost 1-2 to Wing yee, Fire Services lost nil-1 to Mutual,
Kwong Wah drew 1-all with Eastern District, Tsuen Wan won 6-nil over New Fair Kui Tan, Kowloon City won 5-nil against Tuen Mun FC, and Kwok Keung lost 1-2 to Sham Sui Po.

HKFA 3rd Division
In the third division, KCDRSC lost 1-2 to GFC Friends, St Joseph’s drew 2-all with Islands, Tung Sing won 3-1 against Lung Moon, Central and Western defeated KCC 6-nil, Telecom won 2-1 over Fu Moon, Ornament lost nil-8 to Rainbow Legend North District, and Fukien drew 2-all with King Mountain.

Yau Yee League
In the early first division game at Sports Road on Sunday Sept 21, Albion defeated French Kiss 2-nil in a fairly drab game. A fairly uneventful first half with few chances created by either side, ended nil-nil. Albion broke the deadlock in the 54th minute when a long through ball was controlled on the left by Tom Taw who then breezed past the full back before entering the box where he swept a left foot shot past the advancing keeper. Albion settled the game after 72 minutes when a cross from the left was not cleared, and Tim Phillips headed over the goalkeeper (who was stranded in no man’s land) into the net.

Wanderers won their game with Baker Tilly Spartans 3-1, three first half goals effectively sealing the game, goals coming from a Stephen Everest penalty awarded for a handball; Terry Harris and Simon Galvin. Spartans scored a second half consolation goal. Colts lost 1-4 to USRC, Corinthians lost nil-2, to KCC Dragons, Swiss XI and GAS drew 3-all, and The Store House Squadron also drew 3-all against Boca Seniors.

Yau Yee League 2nd Division
In division 2, Interglobo Colloids drew 3-all with SFALO Oxford, Antonhill lost nil-2 to HKDC Mobsters, CS Old Boys lost nil-7 to HKU70’s, WYFC06 won 5-4 over KCC Knights, The Store House Hearts lost nil-1to Azzurri, and GGFC lost nil-2 to ANP.

Yau Yee League 3rd Division
In division 3, University and HKUSA drew 3-all, Darts won 5-4 over HOB, Yan Po won 2-nil against Scorpions, White Youth lost 1-2 to Goal Visio, Caps won 2-1 over Green Cypress FC, and IES were 4-nil victors over Dynamo.

Yau Yee League 4th Division
In division 4, Outward Bound drew 0-all with Rising Sun, HKSS were 3-nil victors over Youth Coaches, Bapcoll lost nil-2 to WYFC84, Power 22 were 7-3 winners over Friends of Barclays, Grasshoppers drew 1-all with Hung Art, and Standard Chartered were 1-nil victors over Skyline.

Next Fixtures
Round 3 games will be played this coming weekend (Sept 27 and 28), after which, we should start to see the tables take shape, showing which sides are likely to be in contention for the relevant leagues, which are likely to hold their own, and which sides are likely to face a battle to stay in their divisions.

Allan Jackson has been involved in Soccer for more than 40 years as a player, referee, administrator and freelance writer.