Pentagon: Two US Service Members Killed in Afghanistan

April 27, 2017 Updated: April 27, 2017
FONT BFONT SText size

WASHINGTON—Two U.S. service members were killed during an operation against ISIS terrorists in eastern Afghanistan overnight on Wednesday, U.S. officials said on Thursday.

The incident took place in the southern Nangarhar province, Pentagon spokesman Captain Jeff Davis said.

U.S. forces in Afghanistan added in a statement that a third U.S. service member was wounded in the raid, carried out with Afghan National Defense and Security Forces (ANDSF) against the militants.

The incident comes just days after U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis visited Afghanistan as President Donald Trump’s administration looks to craft a policy in the war-torn country.

U.S. troops are battling suspected ISIS terrorists in Nangarhar province, near the border with Pakistan, where earlier this month, the United States dropped a massive bomb known as “the mother of all bombs.”

Another U.S. soldier was killed earlier in April while carrying out operations against ISIS in Afghanistan.

ISIS’s offshoot in Afghanistan, known as the Sunni jihadist group’s so-called Khorasan Province, is suspected of carrying out several attacks on minority Shi’ite Muslim targets.

U.S. officials say intelligence suggests ISIS is based overwhelmingly in Nangarhar and neighboring Kunar province.

Estimates of its strength in Afghanistan vary. U.S. officials have said they believe the movement has only 700 fighters but Afghan officials estimate it has about 1,500.