Any kind of citrus fruits, such as navel or blood oranges, tangerines, or even grapefruit, work well in this wintry salad. Crumbles of blue cheese—or goat or feta cheese, if you prefer—add creaminess and some savory funk.
- 2 heads baby romaine lettuce
- 2 oranges, peeled and sliced into rounds (blood orange and navel)
- 2 mandarins, peeled and separated into segments
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 6 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
Trim the bottom of the romaine lettuce heads and separate the leaves, but leave them whole. Wash, dry, and arrange them on a shallow platter.
In a large bowl, toss together the oranges, mandarins, and pomegranate seeds. In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Pour over the orange mixture and mix well. Spoon the orange mixture on top of the lettuce leaves and garnish with blue cheese crumbles. Serve cold.