My Mother Stole My Baby

November 10, 2014 Updated: April 23, 2016

Dear Kathy,

     I have a three year old daughter and two years ago I asked my mother to take of her for me for a few weeks so I could move into my new place. She said that I had to sign a paper so she could take her to the doctor if she got sick. I found out later that the paper I signed gave her guardianship of my daughter and she won’t give her back to me.

     I don’t know what to do. ACS isn’t helping me at all. They made me take parenting classes and told me to see a therapist. I don’t need to do all that, I am a good mom. I just want my little girl back. What can I do? Please help me. 


Dear Pamela,

     Take the parenting classes and start seeing a therapist immediately. Do everything you possibly can to show ACS that you are cooperating with them in every possible way to regain custody of your daughter. If you can afford it, hire an attorney who specializes in family law to assist you. If you can’t afford an attorney, call the American Bar Association (ABA) and ask them if they can direct you to a referral who takes on pro bono cases.

     If you can neither hire an attorney nor find one to take your case free of charge, call local law schools with family law clinics and see if some of the law students, supervised by a professor, can help you. The first step, however, is to comply with what ACS wants you to do in order to regain custody. Put your hurt, anger, and frustration aside and focus on what’s truly important – regaining custody of your little girl. Please send me an update of your situation. I wish you a speedy and positive outcome!

All my best,