Long Island 22-Year-Old Killed in Hit and Run on New Year’s Day

By Miguel Moreno, The Epoch Times
January 19, 2019 Updated: January 19, 2019

It was an hour-and-a-half into the New Year when Taekwon Campbell was the victim of a fatal hit-and-run in Central Islip, Long Island. A video of the incident was released by the Suffolk County Police Department on Jan. 15.

The New Year was greeted with heavy rain, and Campbell was walking through the storm. At about 1:30 a.m., he was struck by a car.

After striking Campbell, the car pulled over to the side of the road to park, when suddenly Campbell was run over a second time by another car. Drivers and passengers from both vehicles rushed out to check on Campbell once they’d stopped.

No Help Was Offered

The suspects can be seen panicking and checking on Campbell. At some point, it looks like they grab Campbell and move him to the side of the road.

Three of the four suspects rushed to their car while one stayed behind looking at Campbell. According to the police video on Youtube, they fled the scene afterward, leaving Campbell on the side of the road.

A cash reward of up to $5,000 has been offered by Suffolk County Crime Stoppers for any information leading to an arrest, and justice for Campbell and his family.

Fundraiser for Peace

Ishera Govan started a campaign on GoFundMe to raise money for her brother’s funeral with a goal of $5,000. Currently, $315 have been raised by 10 people since its start on Jan. 2.

Cambell wasn’t troublesome, he was a boy who loved his skateboard and video games, reads the campaign story. He was also turning 23 on Jan. 13, less than two weeks after the incident. His funeral will be held on Jan. 18.

Govan, her family, and Campbell’s friends are the energy behind the GoFundMe, and they all ask for the same thing: “contributions to help lay Taekwon down in PEACE.”

Hit and Run in Long Island

Another hit and run accident occurred in South Hempstead on Jan. 14. A gas station worker was killed after the driver of an SUV ran him over. The 59-year-old worker was pronounced dead at the hospital.

On Jan. 18, Joshua E. Roston was arrested by Nassau County police after he turned himself in overnight in Pennsylvania, according to Newsday. Roston turned himself in after a press conference was held by the police department on Jan. 17, where a picture of the suspect was released.

Follow Miguel on Twitter: @Miguel_EMG