Little Caesars Restaurant Closed for Mouse Droppings Baked Into Pizza Crust

February 11, 2018 Updated: February 11, 2018

A Little Caesars pizza restaurant was closed down after mouse droppings were discovered baked into the pizza, according to local reports in Indianapolis, Indiana.

The Indianapolis Star reported that the shop was closed before it was reopened a few days later. The Marion County Public Health Department shut down the establishment as a customer found “numerous mouse droppings” inside the crust.

The customer picked up a pepperoni Hot-N-Ready pizza Tuesday at 2181 N. Meridian St. in northern Indianapolis. Health department supervisor Derek Trackwell said the customer found the mouse droppings after leaving the restaurant.

“Fortunately, they did not consume any of it,” Trackwell said.

They took the pizza back and called local officials. Police then contacted health department officials, who asked the customer if he consumed any of the pizza, according to the Star.

“There was a good amount. It was very obvious that there were numerous mouse droppings in the pizza,” Trackwell said of the testing. “It’s not very often that we run into that amount of evidence of mouse droppings in a food product.”

Johnathan McNeil was identified as the customer who bought the tainted pizza, Fox5 reported, but it was his girlfriend that picked it up.

“She looked at the pizza and realized there was like doo-doo looking stuff on the pizza,” McNeil said.

When he went back, employees didn’t understand what he was talking about.

“All of them were looking at my pizza dumbfounded as if they didn’t know what’s going on,” said McNeil, “I said ‘That’s mouse doo-doo on the bottom of my pizza.’”

When the health department investigated, they found mouse droppings in the store and “along the walls throughout the facility,” the Star reported, but nothing in the dough or any other food in, or on cabinets.

“You’d think we’d find droppings in the actual product, but none were found,” he said. “That’s been a question that all of us had, to be honest with you. That’s probably the biggest mystery.”

The chain was inspected and reopened Wednesday.

“They don’t want to have to be in the media for the wrong reasons, so they want to get in and take care of things as swift as possible,” he said.


Recommended Video: