Kitchee Premier League Champions

Association football – Hong Kong
May 13, 2015 Updated: May 14, 2015

HONG KONG – The final round of games in the inaugural Premier League campaign were all played last Saturday 9 May. Given that Kitchee had already claimed the title the previous week, and the relegation situation also decided, there was a lack of tension about the fixtures.

On Saturday (May 9) champions Kitchee played YFCMD at the Sham Shui Po Sports Ground. Kitchee took the lead in the 23rd minute when Juan Belencoso scored with a header from Tsang Kam-to’s cross. YFCMD equalised in the 25th minute when Tan Chun-lok pushed a loose ball into the net and a half time 1-all scoreline.

Kitchee regained the lead in the 55th minute when Lo Kwan-yee scored, but YFCMD equalised again in the 63rd minute when Fong Pak-lun headed in a cross, and then scored the winner in the 88th minute when Fernando Pedreira scored from the penalty spot, and a 3-2 win for YFCMD.

In the game played at Mongkok Stadium, South China wrapped up a 3-nil win against second placed Eastern, scoring all 3 goals in the first half. Manoel Santos opened the scoring after 14 minutes, and doubled their lead after 18 minutes when Andrew Russell scored with a far post header after Manoel Santos’ corner had been flicked on. South China completed the scoring with a first half stoppage time penalty kick from Jose Dos Santos.

In the game at Hammer Hill Sports Ground, Wong Tai Sin ran out 2-nil winners against Sun Pegasus, with a 13th minute opener from Fu Shiu-sing, and a second in the 75th minute when Liu Pui-fung finished from Marko Teodorovic’s pass.

In the final game of the day at Tai Po Sports Ground, BC Rangers fought back from a goal down to eventually win 3-1 against relegated Wofoo Tai Po. Wofoo Tai Po took a 2nd minute lead when Vincent Weijl headed in Joao De Sales cross, but BC Rangers fought back with a brace from Yago Lopez, and another from Han Jaewoong.

In the first division, Lucky Mile won 3-2 against Sun Hei. Kwai Tsing won 3-1 against HKFC, Metro Gallery Sun Source won 6-nil against Double Flower, Kwun Tong won 5-2 against Tuen Mun, Yau Tsim Mong were 4-1 winners against Southern, Wanchai were 2-nil winners against Tai Chung, and Citizen won 3-1 against Shatin.

Lucky Mile took the lead against Sun Hei in the 27th minute when Scott Hooper drove over the goalkeeper and into the roof of the net, but Sun Hei equalised with a penalty in the 40th minute when Raby was adjudged to have committed a foul. After some scrappy play and numerous fouls Sun Hei were reduced to 10 men when their left back brought down Johnny Bliss. However, Sun Hei took the lead in the 79th minute when, from a free kick 35 yards out, the shot was parried by Hui, and the rebound nodded home. Although Lucky Mile hadn’t taken advantage of the extra man, they eventually equalised in the 85th minute when MacInnes headed in from the dge of the 6 yard box from Phil Dowding’s right wing corner. Lucky Mile snatched the winner deep into stoppage time in the 93rd minute of 8 minutes added on, when Scott Hooper drove a loose ball into the bottom left hand corner of the net from 25 yards.

After playing 26 matches, Metro Gallery Sun Source are now the first division champions with 69 points, with HKFC second on goal difference with 58 points, Yau Tsim Mong are third with 58 points, and Southern are fourth on 56 points. The battle for second place is likely to be decided in the game between HKFC and Yau Tsim Mong at Po Kong Village on 24 May.

Wing Yee are champion of the second division with 59 points, whilst Mutual are runners-up with 47 points.

In third division matches, Tung Sing drew 1-all with Islands, Telecom drew 1-all with KCDRSC, Fu Moon drew 1-all with KCC, Central and Western were 4-nil victors over Rainbow Legend Northern District, GFC Friends won 10-1 against Lung Moon, Fukien won 4-nil against Ornament, and St Joseph’s won 4-1 against King Mountain.

Tung Sing are third division champions with 66 points with 1 match to play, with Central & Western district runners-up with 60 points from the same number of matches.

Yau Yee League
In wet conditions, an exciting Yau Yee League Cup Final was played at Sports Road between USRC and Corinthians. Corinthains had the better of first half play and scored twice in the 15th and 20th minutes to go 2-nil ahead at half time. USRC pulled a goal back in the 60th minute,but Corinthians quickly re-established their two goal advantage. After a period of play when the 2 sides cancelled each other out, it looked as if Corinthians were going to win. However, a 79th minute penalty for USRC was converted, with the ensuing melee leading to a player from each side being red-carded, and USRC then scored an equaliser in the last minute when a cross appeared to be diverted in to the net, to force the game into extra time. With momentum with them, USRC eventually won the match 5-3, and with it the Cup.

IES won the earlier Chairman’s Cup final, beating CAPS 5-3.

Allan Jackson has been involved in soccer for more than 40 years as a player, referee, administrator and freelance writer.