Kitchee Crowned Inaugural Premier League Champions

Association football—Hong Kong
May 7, 2015 Updated: May 7, 2015

HONG KONG—Last weekend saw the penultimate round of games in the inaugural Premier League campaign.

On Saturday (May 2) Kitchee claimed the inaugural Premier League title after securing a point in a 3-all draw with Wofoo Tai Po in a game played at the Tai Po Sports Ground. Kitchee took the lead in the 15th minute when Juan Belencoso went on to score after being fed by Jorge Tarres, and doubled their lead in the 43rd minute when Paulo Carreiro scored after Wofoo Tai Po failed to clear a corner, going into the half time break with a 2-nil lead.

Wofoo Tai Po reduced the deficit in the 73rd minute when Vincent Weijl scored direct from a free kick. Kitchee restored their 2 goal lead in the 86th minute when Juan Belencoso scored from a cross from Paulo Carreiro. However, Vincent Weijl scored with a great strike in the 88th minute, and tied the game for Wofoo Tai Po in injury time when he scored his hat-trick with a penalty kick. Kitchee are 3 points ahead of Eastern with one round of games remaining, but claim the title due to their better head to head result against Eastern.

In the day’s other game at Yuen Long Stadium, I-Sky Yuen Long ran out 1-nil winners against South China, the only goal coming in the second half when Cedomir Mijanovic scored from the rebound after South China goalkeeper Cristian Mora had saved Cheung Chi-yung’s header from Tsuyoshi Yoshitake’s corner

In Sunday’s (May 3) game at Sham Shui Po Sports Ground, Wong Tai Sin made themselves safe for another year in the Premier League with a 5-1 defeat of YFCMD. Wong Tai Sin opened the scoring in the 25th minute when Allessandro Leonardo scored from a free kick, and the same player doubled Wong Tai Sin’s and his own score in the 29th minute when he converted Lai Yiu-cheung’s cross. Wong Tai Sin went 3-nil up in the 31st minute when Wong Chun-hin scored from a cross, whilst YFCMD reduced the deficit in the 44th minute when Kenji Fukuda scored from a Fernando Pedreira free kick. The score was 3-1 to Wong Tai Sin at the half time break.

Wong Tai Sin added further goals from Yeung Chi-lan in the 81st minute, and Liu Pui-fung in stoppage time to secure a 5-1 win that avoids relegation.

In the first division, HKFC won 2-nil against Happy Valley, Metro Gallery Sun Source won 3-nil against Sun Hei, Kwun Tong defeated Southern 2-1, Yau Tsim Mong were 5-3 winners against Shatin, Tai Chung were 1-nil victors over Double Flower, Citizen won 7-1 against Tuen Mun, and Lucky Mile came back twice from being a goal behind to run out 3-2 winners against Wanchai with a goal from Niall Cox, and a brace from Adam Bailey.

After playing 25 matches, Metro Gallery Sun Source now lead the first division table with 66 points, with HKFC second with 58 points, Southern are third with 56 points, and Yau Tsim Mong are fourth on 55 points. Metro Gallery Sun Source are almost certainly champions, but the battle for places will largely be determined over the next 2 weeks when Southern host Yau Tsim Mong, and then play Metro Gallery Sun Source. There are 3 rounds of matches to be played.

In the second division, Sai Kung drew 2-all with Kwok Keung, Wing Yee were 7-1 victors over New Fair Kui Tan, Kwong Wah won 4-nil against Tsuen Wan, Sham Shui Po drew nil-all with Kowloon City, Mutual won 4-2 against Tuen Mun FC, and Fire Services drew 1-all with Eastern District.

Wing Yee are champion of the second division with 59 points, whilst Mutual are runners-up with 47 points.

In third division matches, Tung Sing were 3-nil winners over Telecom, Fu Moon were beaten 5-nil by Central and Western, Islands were 3-nil victors over Rainbow Legend Northern District, Fukien won 8-1 against Lung Moon, KCDRSC won 2-1 against Ornament, St Joseph’s won 4-nil against KCC, and GFC Friends won 1-nil against King Mountain.
Tung Sing are third division champions with 65 points with 2 matches to play, with Central & Western district runners-up with 57 points from the same number of matches.

Yau Yee League
With all of the leagues completed, the Yau Yee League played Part 1 of their six-a-side tournament at King’s Park on Sunday May 3. The finals will be held on May 17, 2015 at King’s Park.

YYL’s two cup finals will be played at the HKFC at Sport’s Road this coming Saturday (May 9) afternoon.

Allan Jackson has been involved in soccer for more than 40 years as a player, referee, administrator and freelance writer.