A former White House lawyer who defended former President Donald Trump claimed there is a “very high” chance he could be indicted by the Department of Justice following the Aug. 8 raid on his property.
Ty Cobb, a former White House attorney who defended Trump during special counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia probe, suggested the Aug. 8 FBI raid at Mar-a-Lago could be linked to the Justice Department’s investigation into the Capitol breach on Jan. 6, 2021.
“I think the president is in serious legal water, not so much because of the search, but because of the obstructive activity he took in connection with the Jan. 6 proceeding,” Cobb told CBS News. He did not elaborate on why Trump engaged in “obstructive activity” and repeated Democrat-backed claims that Jan. 6 was carried out by “insurrectionists.”
But Cobb, who is reportedly distantly related to the Hall of Fame baseball player with the same name, said the FBI search warrant was “unusually large and broad.” Because of its scope, he claimed the DOJ could find more evidence of alleged crimes in the materials that were taken from Trump’s Mar-a-Lago.
The warrant is “very, very comprehensive in terms of the types of documents that the government could take,” Cobb added. “For example, you can take any box that has a document. You can take any box adjacent to a box that has it … Those are pretty broad parameters.”
The former president has criticized the DOJ and FBI for taking passports, tax records, medical records, and documents that may fall under attorney-client privilege. Trump has also asserted that FBI agents went through former first lady Melania Trump’s closet and personal items, while his lawyers said they were not allowed to monitor what the agents were doing inside his home on Aug. 8.
Over the past weekend, Trump said at a speech that the FBI agents went through a room belonging to his 16-year-old son, Barron.
Cobb, meanwhile, told CBS that “I saw him tear up inconsequential documents, but I never saw him tear up a classified document or something that was important,” disputing some mainstream media reports to the contrary.
In social media posts and interviews, Trump and members of his team have maintained that he had a standing order to declassify documents while he was president. He also made reference to a memo issued on Jan. 19, 2021, to declassify materials relating to the FBI’s Crossfire Hurricane investigation, which was launched to target the former president and whether he had colluded with the Russian government in 2016.
A warrant and property receipt unsealed by a judge last month showed the FBI and DOJ are investigating Trump for possible obstruction of justice and violations of the Espionage Act.
The 45th president said the raid is a politically motivated attack that was meant to harm his 2024 presidential aspirations.
The Epoch Times has contacted a spokesman for Trump for comment.