Floyd Mayweather still hasn’t lined up his next opponent and Anthony Mundine says he wants a shot at “Money.”
Mayweather has notably backed off confirming that a fight with Pacquiao will ever happen while edging closer to choosing Khan as his opponent.
But other fighters have also been mentioned as a possible opponent, and now Anthony Mundine wants his name in the conversation.
Mundine, 39, defeated Sergey Rabchenko in Melbourne on Wednesday night. The win, which was considered an upset since Rabchenko was previously 25-0, gave Mundine the WBC silver light middleweight title and made him No1 challenger to WBC title holder Mayweather, reported the Guardian.
“It was do or die. He had a couple of great rounds but I thought I won the last two rounds and got the victory,” Mundine said. “I proved everybody wrong again; it’s not about the age. It’s about the mind, my seasoning and my experience.”
Mundine admitted that he probably wouldn’t be able to fight Mayweather without getting at least one more “significant” victory.
Possible opponents include Saul Alvarez, Miguel Cotto, and Joshua Clottey; Mundine was beaten by Clottey earlier this year.
“I’m the mandatory so I want (Mayweather) to fulfil his obligation to fight me,” Mundine told the Australian.
“But, listen, Mayweather is Mayweather — I’m not going to disrespect him. He’s the best in the sport, he can choose who he wants to fight, who he’s going to make the most money from.
“He probably doesn’t think I’ve earned my right yet and I probably haven’t — I’m the first to admit that. “But there are other big fights out there for us to consider, as I have said. Cotto and Alvarez … they are probably where we will look next.”