Eastern Long Lions Stay Top of HKFA Premier League, Colts and Swiss XI Reach Yau Yee League Cup Final

Association Football—Hong Kong
March 20, 2017 Updated: March 20, 2017

HONG KONG—This week’s BOC Life Hong Kong Premier League round kicked off on Friday (March 17) night, with the game between HKFC and BC Glory Sky at HKFC’s Sports Road Ground, with the bottom two teams fighting not to occupy bottom position. HKFC struck the first blow when Frederick Schipper headed a cross into the net via the far post in the 21st minute, a lead that they held until the interval. However, BC Glory Sky started the second half with renewed vigour and equalised in the 49th minute when Everton Camargo curled in a free kick. BC Glory Sky took the lead in the 60th minute when Camargo scored his second with a left foot shot from the right hand side of the box past goalkeeper Issey Maholo,, and extended their lead in the 67th minute when Igor Miovicvolleyed home a corner kick. BC Glory Sky wrapped up the game with Everton Camargo’s hat trick goal in time added on for a 4-1 victory to swap positions in the table with HKFC.    

Saturday’s (March 18) first game saw Kwoon Chung Southern take on Wo Foo Tai Po at Aberdeen Sports Ground. After the game reached half time at nil all, Wo Foo Tai Po had Fung Wing-wah sent off after receiving his second yellow card in the 58th minute, and Kwoon Chung Southern took the lead in the 61st minute when Roberto Fronza fired home, and doubled their lead in the 72nd minute when James Ha scored from Wellingsson Da DSouza’s cross for a 2-0 win.

The later game saw Eastern Long Lions play South China at Mongkok Stadium, where Eastern Long Lions took the lead in the 38th minute when Bai He scored with a free kick, and doubled their lead in the 60th minute when Jaimes Mckee fed Giovane da Silva who advanced into the box before firing home. South China pulled a goal back in the 64th minute when a shot from Nikola Komazec was deflected by Tsang Kam to into the net, before Marko Perovic to shoot past goalkeeper Ho Kwok chuen in the 70th minute. Eastern Long Lions re-took the lead in the 86th minute when Michel Lugo curled in from the right wing, but Bojan Malisic responded for South China in the 87th minute by forcing in from Sean Tse’s long throw. The game went into injury time before Bai He scored from Michel Lugo’s cross to earn Eastern Long Lions the win 4-3.

Sunday’s (March 19) early game involved Lee Man Rangers and Kitchee at Mongkok Stadiun, Kitchee winning 5-1 after an imposing first 30 minutes that settled the game. Kitchee scored after 4 minutes when Krisztin Vadocz headed in a corner, but Lee Man Rangers equalised in the 18th minute when Jorge Tarres scored a fine solo goal. However, Kitchee quickly re-took the lead from Fernando Pedreira in the 24th minute, while Alessandro Leonardo added a brace with goals in the 27th and 30th minutes to effectively seal the result. Kitchee added a fifth from Leonardo Pedreira in the 75th minute for a 5-1 victory.

In the day’s final game R&F were opposed by Hong Kong Pegasus at Siu Sai Wan Sports Ground, with Hong Kong Pegasus finishing as 3-1 victors.  Hong Kong Pegasus added a second in the 71st minute when Leong Ka-hang finished from Christian Annan’s pass. Although R &F pulled a goal back in the 77th minute when Chen Lapming headed in a corner, Hong Kong Pegasus restored their 2 goal advantage when Travis Major converted a penalty for a 3-1 win.    

Eastern Long Lions lead the table with 42 points from 16 matches, with Kitchee second with 36 points from 15 matches. HKFC hold up the table on 6 points from 17 matches, with BC Glory Sky one place above them on 8 points from 16 matches, and R&F on 9 points from 15 games.

In First Division games, Sun Hei were 2-1 victors over Wanchai, Kwai Tstng were 3-2 winners against Eastern District, Shatin won 5-nil against Yau Tsim Mong, Citizen drew 4-all with Tung Sing, Wong Tai Sin were 8-1 winners against Resource Capital FC, and Easyknit Property were 2-nil victors against Kwun Tong.

Sun Hei lead the table with 54 points from 20 games with Wong Tai Sin second with 53 points from the same matches.

In the second division, Lucky Mile were 2-nil victors over Central & Western, HKU CXSC were 1-nil winners against Sham Shui Po, Kowloon City won 3-nil against Kwok Leung LNC, Tuen Mun FC drew 1-sllwith Tuen Mun, and Kwong Wah drew nil-all against Sai Kung.  

Lucky Mile lead the second division table with 35 points from 17 matches with Central & Western second on 34 points from the same games, Hoi King and Sparta Rotterdam Mutual are joint third with 32 points from 15 and 16 games respectively, and Tuen Mun with 28 points from 16 matches..

In the third division, KCDRSC were 4-1 winners against Telecom, Leaper St Josephs won 9-1 against King Mountain, and Ornament were 3-nil winners against V Sports.

Wing Go Fu Moon lead the table with 44 points from 17 matches, with Happy Valley  second with 43 points from the same games.    

Yau Yee League

This week saw the Cup semi-finals, with Wanderers and Colts facing off at Sports Road, and KCC Knights playing Swiss XI.

Colts won 2-nil in their local derby semi final with Wanderers, whilst Swiss XI were 3-1 victors over KCC Knights.

In the Chairman’s Cup semi-finals, CSOB won 4-3 in a penalty shoot out with University with the game tied at 2-all, whilst HKSS were 4-1 winners against Skyline.

Allan Jackson has been involved in soccer for more than 40 years as a player, referee, administrator and freelance writer.