Dog Sniffs Sinister White Blob on a Beach. Then, Owner Takes a Closer Look and Pulls Him Away

By Li Yen, Epoch Times
June 2, 2019 Updated: June 6, 2019

Walking your dog on the beach should be an enjoyable, relaxing experience, but if you ever chance upon a boulder-sized white blob that looks something like this, please be cautious! This substance may seem harmless, but if eaten, it can kill dogs.

One day, a woman in England was walking her dog on the beach when she stumbled upon a strange, waxy, white blob. Her dog, attracted by the substance’s distinctive  smell, ran up to inspect it.

Initially, the woman thought it was a jellyfish, but on closer examination, it clearly was not. Puzzled by the mysterious substance, she quickly pulled her dog away from it.

©Getty Images | ANTHONY WALLACE/AFP

The rock-sized white blob, resembling candle wax, turned out to be a lump of congealed palm oil, also known as a “fatberg.”

©Getty Images | STR/AFP

The solidified balls are believed to have drifted thousands of miles from the Caribbean, across the Atlantic Ocean, and washed ashore on beaches across the United Kingdom following the chaos of Storm Angus in November 2016.

It is believed that the palm oil product was dumped legally by ships mostly from the Caribbean, The Sun reported.

The blobs may look harmless; however, pet owners in England have been warned to be careful while walking their dogs after these waxy blobs started appearing on beaches in Kent, Sussex, Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Hampshire, and the Isle of Wight, according to MailOnline.

“What’s the white-yellow waxy stuff washing up on local beaches? It’s palm oil and can be fatal to your dog if it eats it. Take action immediately if it does,” warned Visit Fylde Coast on their Facebook page.

Fatbergs, covered in deadly germs, are in fact poisonous particularly to dogs, who love sniffing the substance because it emits a “diesel-like” smell.

The germ-ridden chunks of the congealed palm oil can cause stomach pains, vomiting, diarrhea, or even death in dogs when eaten.

©Getty Images | ANTHONY WALLACE

“These things can cause two-fold problems, the first is gastro, the second is foreign body obstructions,” said TV vet Marc Abraham. “As the palm oil is so gelatinous it can get lodged in the esophagus and require emergency surgery.

“If you think your dog has swallowed something it shouldn’t, contact your vet immediately,” he cautioned.

In 2014, dozens of dogs were treated, and several died, after feasting on the congealed blobs. Dog owner Karen de Fraine spent 88 pounds (US$110) on medicine and injections after her dog ate the massive lump of palm oil during a walk along Kingsand Beach, near Saltash, Cornwall.

“We looked online and were worried that we could lose him after seeing what had happened to other dogs, so my husband rushed him to the vets straight away,” de Fraine said.

Watch the video here:

Thumbnail Credit: Instagram | sandbankswalkies

RECOMMENDED
TOP VIDEOS