State of Emergency Declared as Cyclone Trevor Barrels Towards North of Australia

Likely To Be a Monster Category 4 Cyclone
By AAP
March 20, 2019 Updated: March 21, 2019

A state of emergency has been declared by Northern Territory’s chief minister Michael Gunner as Cyclone Trevor barrels towards the east coast of the Northern Territory after leaving a trail of destruction behind in north Queensland.

NT Chief Minister Michael Gunner on Tropical Cyclone Trevor: 'It is really important that you stay informed and listen to all of the updates and take this seriously, not just the cyclonic event but the storm surge that comes with it.' MORE: https://bit.ly/2Tkqko3 #SkyLiveNow

Sky News Australia 发布于 2019年3月20日周三

The now category one storm is offshore over the eastern Gulf of Carpentaria where it is due to rapidly reintensify on March 21, into a category three storm as it slowly crosses the gulf.

But it’s then expected to further intensify and could emerge as dangerous category four cyclone when it crosses the Northern Territory coast on Saturday, the Bureau of Meteorology said on Thursday, March 21.

“Very destructive winds, with gusts to 260 km/h, heavy rainfall and a very dangerous storm tide are expected near the cyclone centre as it approaches and crosses the coast,” the bureau added.

The bureau is predicting that the cyclone will make landfall later this week between Borroloola and Groote Eylandt as a category four severe tropical cyclone, with marine conditions in the Gulf of Carpentaria deteriorating from Thursday.

Residents in the east of the Northern Territory are being evacuated in what is the largest mass evacuation since cyclone Tracy in 1974. The entire community of Groote Eylandt with a population of about 2,800 people is being evacuated by air.

The smaller community of Numbulwar with more than 500 residents is being evacuated by road as they will likely be cut off otherwise.

“Our information tells us that this severe cyclone will be extremely dangerous and too dangerous for people to shelter,” Northern Territory Emergency Services regional controller Travis Wurst said.

“The system will be large and intense, with significant damage expected.

“Some people have already self-evacuated.

“Everyone else in these communities is asked to be ready for evacuation across today and tomorrow.”

Local authorities were working to ensure all people were aware of the dangers present and the need to evacuate, he said.

A Tropical Cyclone Watch has been issued for Nhulunbuy to the Queensland border.

Other East Arnhem communities are being warned to prepare for destructive winds, heavy rainfall, and very dangerous storm tides as the tropical cyclone intensity could last for more than 24 hours before it weakens as it moves inland.

Katherine is being considered for evacuees as a reception, registration, and transit point with further accommodation arrangements being explored.

The system is likely to increase to a category four system by Friday with very destructive winds making landfall in the eastern Arnhem or Carpentaria district in the Northern Territory.

In Queensland, Trevor has uprooted trees, caused flooding and roof damage, closed schools and roads, and downed power lines with severe wind gusts and heavy rain since it made landfall in earlier this week.

Trevor lashed the Aurukun community overnight and some 180 places were without power on Thursday as residents began cleaning up.

Local Emergency Management Committees had met and started local plan activations affected communities.

Weather permitting, crews would fly in from Mareeba and Cairns to begin the restoration effort, Ergon Energy said.

The timing is uncertain with gales still expected across western parts of Cape York Peninsula on Thursday morning between Cape York and Pormpuraaw.

That will include Aurukun and Weipa as the cyclone moves offshore and re-intensifies with possible gusts in excess of 130 kilometres per hour.

A heavy rain and a storm tide is also likely between Mapoon and Aurukun on Thursday morning.

Crews restored power to the community of Coen on Wednesday night and have begun resupplying Lockhart River, where the electricity network damage was worse.

“We are down to 96 customers without power in Lockhart River from a peak of 150 customers, or the entire community,” Ergon says.

People have been warned to beware of flash flooding.

 

RECOMMENDED