College Student Hospitalized After Ingesting Tide Pod
A student from the Utah State University (USU) was hospitalized after partaking in a dangerous new social media challenge.
The incident took place on Saturday, Jan. 20, at an on-campus housing unit after the student ingested a “Tide pod,” KTVX reported.
This is the latest incident in what is known as the Tide Pod challenge, a new social media craze where teenagers are seen filming themselves eating or biting into laundry detergent pods, before spitting it out.
Although USU police first called the incident a “Tide Pod overdose,” any dosage can be fatal and is not recommended. Eric Warren, director of media relations at the university corrected the terminology, telling FOX13 that the student “ingested” a single tide pod.
The student in question, whose name was not released, was transported to a local hospital. The condition of the student’s health was not readily available, according to reports.
It’s unclear what exactly motivated the college student to ingest the Tide pod in the first place.
“For students and members of our university who are feeling overwhelmed, we have services available. There are people here to talk to you,” Warren said, according to FOX13.
Tide has also come out to warn people not to partake in the dangerous craze.
What should Tide PODs be used for? DOING LAUNDRY. Nothing else.
— Tide (@tide) January 12, 2018
Medical experts are also warning against the trend.
Banner Health toxicologist Dr. Frank LoVecchio told ABC15 that the intentional consumption of the packets is concerning. He added that the chemical in the pods can burn your mouth, lips, and esophagus if ingested. But there is also another concern.
“The membrane around it, when it dissolves, can cause central nervous system depression,” LoVecchio told the news station. When it dissolves it can cause you to become sleepy or fatigued.
In early 2017, College Humor, a comedic content company, posted a video about eating laundry pods, reported News4jax. At the end of the video, it shows a guy being sent to the hospital after eating a bowl of laundry pods.
A representative for Procter and Gamble, maker of Tide, told ABC15 in a statement that the laundry pods are only meant to clean clothes.
“Our laundry pacs are a highly concentrated detergent meant to clean clothes, and they’re used safely in millions of households every day. They should be only used to clean clothes and kept up, closed, and away from children,” the company said in a statement.
Janita Kan contributed to this report.