A healthy 26-year-old Hong Kong man suffered facial paralysis after receiving the first dose of the China-made COVID-19 vaccine on March 24 as people in Hong Kong grow increasingly concerned about the safety of the Chinese vaccine.
Lam is a construction worker, who in Hong Kong's vaccination program is one of the priority groups. Before vaccination, he was healthy.
At 2:30 p.m. on Wednesday, the young man went to a community vaccination center at Tseung Kwan O Stadium. After vaccination, he felt dizzy and lost consciousness.
“I could feel the [first aid] man patting me and could hear him calling me, but I couldn’t respond,” Lam said. He then was sent to emergency and he regained consciousness about an hour later.
Vaccine Safety a Growing IssueThe Hong Kong government started to vaccinate people on Feb. 22, with two choices: CoronaVac and Comirnaty, which is made by BioNTech. By March 24, 412,800 people had received their first dose of vaccination, the Hong Kong Department of Health (DH) announced (pdf).
"We can't rule out the possibility that the suspension might be a trick that the regime is trying to ban any imported vaccines and only allow people to vaccinate with China-made ones," U.S.-based China affairs commentator Tang Jingyuan told The Epoch Times on March 25. "Comirnaty is verified of high effectiveness, and more safety than the CoronaVac. If people have a choice, the majority would choose Comirnaty, rather than the CoronaVac."
As of March 25, no China-made vaccine has been approved. Only two inactivated vaccines from Sinopharm, CoronaVac from SinoVac, and an adenovirus type 5 vectored COVID-19 vaccine from CanSinoBIO have been approved for emergency use.
The Chinese regime announced on March 21 that 74.96 million Chinese people had been vaccinated, but the regime hadn't provided any data about adverse events. Adverse events is a topic that is censored by the regime. Chinese netizens cannot even post their own experience from vaccination.