Chicago: 13 People Shot in Cornell Square Park in Back of the Yards on the South Side
Gunmen shot and hit 13 people in Cornell Square Park on the south side of Chicago on Thursday night, in the Back of the Yards neighborhood. A 3-year-old was the most seriously injured, though he is expected to live. He was hit in the ear and the bullet passed out through his mouth, but he did not sustain brain damage.
The Chicago Tribune reported that the shootings happened on a basketball court on the 51st Street side of Cornell Square Park near Wood Street.
Becky Schlikerman, a reporter with the Chicago Sun-Times, said via Twitter that “A woman who wouldn’t give her name said 2 guys ran into park and shot at a group sitting on basketball court.”
“Welcome to Chiraq” one onlooker told her.
Julian Harris, 22, said dreadlocked gunmen in a gray sedan fired at him at the corner of Wood and 51st. The sedan turned the corner and the men started shooting at people in the park.
His three-year-old nephew Deonta Howard was shot.
Deonta (pronounced Deontay) Howard, 3, was shot in Cornell Square Park, Chicago, Thursday, Sept. 19, 2013. (@photojeskos/Twitter)
“They hit the light pole next to me but I ducked down and ran into the house,” Harris told the Sun-Times. “They’ve been coming round here looking for people to shoot every night — just gang-banging stuff. It’s what they do.”
The Chicago Fire Department said via Twitter that it sent 10 ambulances to 1801 West 51st Street and later Thursday night said that 11 people were shot. The fire department said the child is in critical condition, as well as two adults. Four adults are in serious condition, and four are in good condition. Reports by the Chicago Tribune, ABC News, and other media Friday morning raised the number of people shot to 13, including 10 adults, the 3-year-old boy, and two teens.
Victims were transported to area hospitals, including Mt. Sinai, Holy Cross, and St. Anthony, according to the department.
No one is in custody as of yet.
The Chicago Tribune published the ages and conditions of the victims Friday morning, citing Police News Affairs Officer Ron Gaines:
- The 3-year-old boy, shot in the ear, in critical condition at Mount Sinai;
- A 17-year-old girl, shot in the foot, condition stabilized at Holy Cross Hospital;
- A 15-year-old boy shot in the arm, stabilized at Holy Cross;
- A man, 27, shot in the leg and wrist, serious condition at Mount Sinai;
- A man, 24, shot twice in the stomach, serious condition at Mount Sinia;
- A man, 21, shot in the leg, serious condition at Mount Sinai;
- A man, 41, shot in the buttocks, serious condition at John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital;
- A woman, 33, shot in the shoulder, condition stabilized at Northwestern Memorial Hospital;
- A man, 31, shot in the buttocks, condition stabilized at Northwestern;
- A woman, 23, shot in the foot, condition stabilized at St. Anthony Hospital;
- A man, 37, shot in the leg, in good condition at Stroger;
- A man, 25, shot in the knee, in good condition at Northwestern;
- And a man, 33, who drove himself to Little Company of Mary Hospital in Evergreen Park with a gunshot wound to the leg and who was treated and released.
Story developing; check back for updates; see pictures and more information below
Follow @ETBreakingNews for breaking news from around the world.