NEW YORK—Six additional women have raised assault and harassment claims against CBS Chief Executive Leslie Moonves in a media report published Sunday.
The new disclosures come as the media company is expected to announce on Monday that Moonves is resigning following similar claims previously made by six other women against the executive, said sources familiar with the matter on Sunday, asking not to be identified because the plans have not been made public.
The incidents, which the women said took place between the 1980s and early 2000s, were published in a New Yorker story and included claims of forced sex, Moonves exposing himself and use of physical violence and intimidation. All six of the women were named.
Reached by telephone, one of the women, Phyllis Golden-Gottlieb, referred questions to a lawyer, Gloria Allred, who did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment. Reuters could not immediately reach the other women.
Moonves, 68, who joined CBS in 1995 and became CEO in 2006, could not immediately be reached to comment on Sunday after the latest claims.
CBS said on Sunday it takes such allegations very seriously.
“The CBS Board of Directors is committed to a thorough and independent investigation of the allegations, and that investigation is actively underway,” the media company’s board said in a statement.
CBS has negotiated an estimated $100 million settlement with Moonves, sources told Reuters. CBS will donate a portion of that settlement to an unnamed charity and the company reserves the right to claw back all of the remaining payment pending the results of an investigation into allegations of sexual assault and harassment, sources familiar with these discussions said.
The company also reached a deal to settle litigation over the control of the company with National Amusements in a deal expected to be announced as early as before the markets open on Monday, sources told Reuters.
A representative of CBS controlling shareholder Shari Redstone and National Amusements declined to comment.
The New Yorker reported on Sunday that the additional six women said Moonves also retaliated after they rebuffed him, damaging their careers.
In August, CBS hired two law firms to investigate allegations of sexual assault and unwanted advances following a New Yorker report that featured claims against Moonves from six women spanning different periods over two decades, from 1985 to 2006.
Following the New Yorker report in August, Moonves said he regretted “immensely” making some women uncomfortable by making advances, but added that he abided by the principle that ‘no’ means ‘no,’ and stated he had never misused his position to harm or hinder anyone’s career.
The author of the New Yorker articles, Ronan Farrow, previously has written reports that contributed to the resignation of Hollywood movie producer Harvey Weinstein from his film and TV studio following accusations of sexual misconduct.
By Kenneth Li