Boston Manhunt Ends: Boston Marathon Bombings Suspect in Custody (Updates)

By Epoch Times Staff
Epoch Times Staff
Epoch Times Staff
April 19, 2013 Updated: June 24, 2015

Update—11:17 p.m.

Hundreds of people gathered near Northeastern University in Boston, Massachusetts, cheering and celebrating, according to CBS Boston. According to Twitter feeds and Facebook videos, students were singing the national anthem and cheering after the the second suspects capture.

In Watertown, the crowd was still cheering at 10:18 p.m. as law enforcement officials left the scene with lights flashing and sirens blaring, according to the Boston Globe. “People are spontaneously singing “Sweet Caroline” and the national anthem and waving American flags,” the Globe reported.

Martine Powers, a transportation reporter with the Boston Globe, tweeted from @martinpowers, a photo of a guy wearing a Boston Marathon shirt and “literally running through streets” of Watertown at 10:21 p.m.

Update—10:26 p.m.

President Barack Obama gave a televised statement shortly after 10:00 p.m. Friday night, after the second suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings was taken into police custody.

“We’ve closed an important chapter in this tragedy,” Obama said. Our thoughts are with those who were wounded in pursuit of the suspect and all the people that were killed in the bombings.

Obama said that cooperation between agencies was critical, and “they worked as a team.” We owe gratitude to the law enforcement officers, he said.

The president said he ordered all the relevant law enforcement agencies “to continue to deploy all the necessary resources” as the investigation continues.

“When a tragedy like this happens with public safety at risk and the stakes so high it is important we do this right. That is why we have investigations … that is why we have courts.”

Obama asked, “Why did young man who grew up and studied here … resort to such violence?”  Many questions remain, like: how did they plan the attacks, and did they receive any help?

Obama said they failed because the people from Boston refused to be intimidated.

Update—10:06 p.m.

“We are eternally grateful for the outcome here tonight,” police spokesperson said in a televised press conference at 9:37 p.m. “I want to thank all the partners who worked tirelessly here over the past few days.”

“I want to say how grateful how I am,” Gov. Deval Patrick said. “It was a very complicated case, there are still questions that need to be answered.”

The governor emphasized how good the cooperation was between the different agencies, and he wanted to thank the public. He said he was thankful for the public’s participation in the investigation by reviewing photos of their own and others through the media. The governor said the public helped narrow in on these suspects.

“It’s a night all of us will rest easy,” he said.

Richard DesLauriers, the FBI agent in Charge of the Boston division, said the suspects are “are no longer a threat to our personal safety and our communities.”

“This was truly an intense investigation,” DesLauriers said.

“I can’t be prouder of my community and the men and women of the Watertown police department,” Watertown police chief said. “The support we have had from all the different agencies mentioned is phenomenal.”

“We got that call and we got the guy,” he said. A police spokesperson described the events that unfolded at the boat where the suspect was found.

Update—10:06 p.m.

The Watertown police received a call from a man after he had gone out of his house after staying inside the whole day due to a stay home order to all residents, coming from the governor.

The man saw blood on the cover, lifted the top, saw a man covered in blood, and then called the police.

The police surrounded the boat and exchanged fire with the suspect, according to a police spokesperson. Soon, the police moved in and took the suspect out of the boat. Police did try to negotiate with him, but he was unresponsive.

“Suspect is in serious condition in the hospital,” the spokesperson said.

The blood found on the second suspect is most likely from Thursday’s night events where the suspect was involved in a shootout with police officers, where his brother, the first suspect was shot and killed.

Police currently do not know whether the suspect was hit by gunshots in the event at the boat. The boat was just slightly outside of the perimeter officials had set up earlier in the day, where they went door to door searching homes.

The police spokesperson said there are no reports that the suspect had explosives on him at the time of arrest

“We thought we had the perimeter solid .. but we were about one block away,” said the Watertown police chief at the press conference.

Update—9:13 p.m.

The massive manhunt for two brothers suspected in the Boston Marathon bombings has ended. People cheering, applauding, and saying “thank you” as police cars leave streets filled with people, reports CBS Boston.

“CAPTURED!!! The hunt is over. The search is done. The terror is over. And justice has won. Suspect in custody,” the Boston Police Dept. tweeted at 8:58 p.m.

“In the midst of the crowd, adorable little kid is throwing his Red Sox cap in the air,” tweeted Martine Powers at 8:57 p.m.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, was taken into custody Friday night. Police spent over 22 hours searching for Dzhokhar. He was found alive and is being brought to Mount Auburn Hospital, according to the Boston Globe.

“We got him,” Boston Mayor Tom Menino, tweeted at 8:51 p.m.

Update—8:45 p.m.

Crowds burst into applause, according to the Boston Globe.

“Suspect in custody. Officers sweeping the area. Stand by for further info,” tweets the Boston Police Dept. at 8:45 p.m.

Update—8:36 p.m.

A federal law enforcement official says the FBI interviewed the older Boston Marathon bombing suspect at the request of a foreign government in 2011 and that nothing derogatory was found.

The official says the FBI shared its information with the foreign government. The official did not say what country made the request about Tamerlan Tsarnaev or why.

Read article here

Update—8:27 p.m.

Police officers are still surrounding the scene cautiously, according to a Boston Globe staff on Twitter at 8:19 p.m.

The suspect, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, is believed to be alive hiding under a boat in a backyard in a Watertown backyard on Franklin Street. Helicopters are circling above using searchlights to aid police officers in the night. Thermal energy detectors show that the suspect is still alive. 

“NBC News is reporting that there was a small fire in the boat the bombing suspect is hiding in,” according to the Boston Globe.

Update—7:42 p.m.

The second suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings is believed to be under a boat in a Watertown backyard on Franklin Street. 

A thermal energy detector in a helicopter in the sky is believed to have detected the suspect hiding under the boat, according to WTSP. 

“Police are lined up, down on one knee, peering through bushes and tree leaves. Not clear if the person in the boat has been killed. Even if he has, police are concerned that his body could be booby-trapped,” reports the Boston Globe. 

Update—7:25 p.m.

Media reports and Twitter accounts on Friday night said that shots have been fired on Franklin Street in Watertown, Mass., and an ambulance was viewed rushing to the scene.

The Boston Globe reported that the Boston Marathon suspect has been corralled.

“I heard 5 shots. Ton of cops w machine guns,” said Twitter userLukeJB.

Residents have been evacuated around the area where the shots were fired.

“Get ready to get behind something solid,” a police officer told WCVB TV.

Read article here

Update—7:10 p.m.

“Police operations in the Franklin Street Watertown area. Residents shelter in place,” tweets the  Boston Police Dept. on April 19, 2013 at 7:03 p.m.

WBZ-TV is reporting gunshots fired in Watertown, according to a Boston Globe staffer at 6:58 p.m on Twitter. 

A state police officer said there was a man with a rifle. Other reports are of a boat in a backyard in Watertown that officers wanted to search. Media was told to take shelter, according to the Boston Globe.

Update—6:59 p.m.

Limited service has resumed on all MBTA modes except the commuter rail, according to the MBTA website. The RIDE, MBCR, and Ferry Service will resume Saturday, April 20, 2013, it reports. 

Update—6:57 p.m.

Gov. Deval Patrick said in a televised press conference the stay in doors order is lifted, but he asks the public to remain vigilant and to watch out for unattended packages and backpacks. There is a “very, very dangerous individual at large,” he said.

“In the Watertown area we found several homemade bombs, pipe bombs, detonated and undetonated … We did find another pressure cooker bomb that detonated during last night’s events,” officials reported at the live press conference. 

Officials said they are committed to seeing a conclusion in their search for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, who is suspected to be responsible for the Boston Marathon explosions. 

“The desperate 19-year-old suspect in the Boston Marathon terror bombings ran over his own wounded brother as he fled police, officials said,” according to the Boston Globe, referring to the events that took place last night.

Officials said they have number of leads but none have been fruitful. Police presence will remain heavy in Watertown, although the stay in doors order has been lifted. 

If anyone sees the suspect, they should not approach him. They should call the FBI at 1-800-CALL-FBI and choose prompt #3. You can also submit information to the FBI email at, according to the City of Boston website.

Officials said they need the public’s cooperation to solve this. Tsarnaev is considered a “very violent” and “very dangerous” individual, who they believe has killed people. 

Officials appealed to Tsarnaev to give himself up now and stop. 

Tsarnaev last abandoned a car and fled from officials on foot. 

There are no expected briefings for the night unless there is a significant development in the police search.

Update—5:58 p.m.

Massachusetts police issued a statement outlining events since 10:24 p.m. Thursday night when MIT police received a call from someone reporting they had heard what they feared was gunshots, according to The Boston Globe. 

Minutes later, a 7-11 store at 750 Massachusetts Avenue was the victim of an armed robbery. Originally, it was believed that the robber was one of the two Boston Marathon bombing suspects but state police say that the Tsarnaev brothers did not rob the store. 

Authorities allege that the brothers did shoot and kill MIT police officer Sean Collier in his MIT cruiser.

Two minutes later, the authorities received a call that a car has been carjacked by two men outside 816 Memorial Drive. A short time later a Transit Police officer spots the vehicle and pursues. That chase came to a stop in Watertown.

As the chase came to a stop, 200 rounds were fired by police and apparently by the brothers, according to the statement. Police recovered “numerous pieces of evidence” including “evidence of homemade explosives, including pipe bombs and another pressure cooker,” State Police said, according to The Boston Globe. 

Earlier on Friday, police scheduled a controlled explosion in Cambridge. “No potential explosives were found on Norfolk Street in Cambridge where the two brothers lived,” reports the Globe, according to the statement. 

The controlled explosion did not take place. 

“We did not have to do the controlled detonation,” State Police spokesman David Procopio wrote. “We thought a car there might have an explosive but it did not.”

Update—5:27 p.m.

“Say a prayer 4 all of our brother & sister officers as they work 2 bring this search to safe-n-successful conclusion,” Boston Police Department tweeted at 5:14 p.m.

Update—4:53 p.m.

Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth this week after the explosions killed three people and wounded more than 180 others, his classmates told The Associated Press on Friday.

The university evacuated its campus Friday morning after confirming that Tsarnaev, the at-large suspect in the bombings, is a registered student there.

Robert Lamontagne, a university spokesman, declined to comment beyond confirming that Tsarnaev was registered there. He would not immediately say when Tsarnaev enrolled, what he was studying or whether he lived on campus.

Read article here

Update—4:37 p.m.

The Red Sox and the Bruins both scrapped their games. The famous Bull Market at Faneuil Hall was closed, and there were more pigeons than tourists on City Hall Plaza. Even the Starbucks at Government Center was shuttered.

The killing of one suspected Boston Marathon bomber and the manhunt for another brought life in large swaths of the notoriously gridlocked Beantown to a screeching halt, leaving residents and tourists alike frustrated and angry.

“It took me an hour and a half to find a coffee this morning,” Daniel Miller, a financier from New York, said as he wandered the desolate plaza beside a statue of patriot Samuel Adams. “I was joking with a person that I guess the strategy is we’ll make this person not be able to get a coffee in the morning, and maybe they’ll give up.”

For Steve Parlin, who is staying at a veteran’s shelter on Court Street, in the shadow of City Hall, the scene was nothing to joke about.

“Helicopters are flying over,” the Gulf War-era Coast Guard veteran said as he strolled across the plaza, a bottle of water in his hand. “Everything’s closed. It’s creepy. Machine guns. Creepy.”

Read article here

Update—4:34 p.m.

Late Thursday night during a shootout with two Boston Marathon bombing suspects, CBS News Special Reports that bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev threw a pressure cooker bomb at police. The lid of the pressure cooker came loose and the bomb exploded in the air, according to news reports.

Tamerlan died at the scene. Dzhokhar, his brother, ran over his body in a stolen vehicle which he has since abandoned, to escape the police officers, according to WTSP. The manhunt for Dzhokhar, 19, continues. 

Update—4:14 p.m.

An aunt of the Boston Marathon bombing suspects said Friday the older brother recently became a devout Muslim who prayed five times a day, and she doesn’t believe the brothers could have been involved in Monday’s attack.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev had married and had a 3-year-old daughter in the U.S., Maret Tsarnaeva told reporters in Toronto.

“He has a wife in Boston and from a Christian family, so you can’t tie it to religion,” she said.

But she said the 26-year-old Tamerlan “seemingly did not find himself yet in America, because it’s not easy.”

Tamerlan was killed Thursday night during a shootout with police, and a huge manhunt was under way in the Boston area for his 19-year-old brother, Dzhokhar.

Tsarnaeva said she wants proof they are involved in the deadly bombing.

“We’re talking about three dead people, 100-something injured, and I do not believe, I just do not believe our boys would do that … I don’t know them in the way that they could be capable of this,” Tsarnaeva said.

Read article here

Update—3:43 p.m.

Jeff Bauman, one of the victims in the Boston Marathon bombing who lost his legs, spoke with the FBI to help identify one of the two suspects in the case, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, who was killed on Friday morning.

The image of Bauman shown being rushed in a wheelchair by paramedics and helpers was one of the most iconic photographs of the incident. It was reported that Bauman was waiting for his girlfriend to finish the race when the bombs went off, taking out both his legs.

Bloomberg News reported that he looked into the eyes of Tsarnaev, 26, just before the bombs detonated. When he regained consciousness, Bauman reportedly asked for a pen and paper.

“He woke up under so much drugs, asked for a paper and pen and wrote, ‘bag, saw the guy, looked right at me,'” his brother, Chris Bauman, told the news agency.

Read article here

Update—3:36 p.m.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings, is currently being hunted by a massive group of U.S. law enforcement.

Tsarnaev and his older brother, who was killed in a shootout with police officers on Thursday night, were born in Chechnya but the two brothers have lived in the United States for a number of years.

Chechnya’s president, Ramzan Kadyrov, wrote on Instagram that he gives his “condolences to the people of the city and the people of America,” according to the Google translation of the statement.

He said any connection between Chechnya and the two brothers, if they are guilty, are in vain, he stated. 

“They grew up in the United States, their attitudes and beliefs were formed there. It is necessary to seek the roots of evil in America,” he wrote.

Update—3:20 p.m.

Alvi and Ruslan Tsarni, the two uncles of the Boston Marathon bombing suspects, spoke about their nephews on Friday.

Ruslan Tsarni, the uncle of Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev and Tamerlan Tsarnaev, did not mince his words when describing his relatives.

Speaking with the Baltimore Sun, Ruslan Tsarni called the two “losers,” calling on Dzhokhar, 19, who is still alive, to turn himself in. His brother, 26-year-old Tamerlan Tsarnaev, was killed in a police standoff on Friday.

“I’ve been following [the story] from day one but never ever imagined that somehow the children of my brother would be associated with that,” Tsarni, a Maryland resident, told the paper. “It is an atrocity. We are devastated. We’re shocked. We’ve not been in touch with that family for a number of years. They never lived here. I never knew, and even if I would have guessed something, I would have submitted them myself.”

Tsarni said that he has not seen his nephews since 2005 for personal reasons but said he did not think they had ties to any terrorist groups.

“They do not deserve to be on this earth … What can I say? They murdered,” he said, according to WTSP television, while calling them two “barbarians.”

Read article here

Update—1:47 p.m.

Kurt Schwartz, the director of Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency (MEMA), said in a live press conference that people who may have gone to work before getting the stay at home order are encouraged to go home.

He said that they do not have to shelter at work and can go home. Although public transportation is not running, Taxis are now running. Schwartz recommends driving home, or call a friend for a ride.

He said they do not expect people to shelter at work or businesses. “Shelter in place at home,” he said.

The stay at home order remains for all residents in Watertown, Boston, and residents of Cambridge, Belmont, Newton and surrounding towns.

Update—12:51 p.m.

Update from Boston PD press conference:

Deval Patrick, the governor of Massachusetts, thanked the public for complying with law enforcement orders and staying indoors in a 12:30 p.m. press conference in Watertown, Mass.

The request to stay indoor continues until further notice. There are continuing developments, Patrick said, but information will be disclosed later.

“We are progressing through this neighborhood [Watertown], going door-to-door, street-to-street,” said Timothy Alben, superintendent of the Massachusetts state police. “We’re well over 60 or 70 percent of what we want to cover up there.”

Alben said that a controlled explosion will occur later in the afternoon on Northfolk St. The explosion is necessary for police to proceed safely with a house search. 

Edward Devoe, chief of Watertown police, said that police and other staff will stay in town until it is safe.


 Update—12:18 p.m.

Media reports helicopters flying around the area in Boston, no updates on whereabouts of suspect.


Update—11:42 a.m.

Anzor Tsarnaev, the father of suspected Boston Marathon bomber brothers, asked his son, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, to turn himself in, according to ABC News.

 The suspect’s father lives in Makhachkala, a Russian city.

 The oldest brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, died in a shootout with police officers that started late Thursday night, after a MIT security officer was shot and killed.

 Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, remains at large. While his father asked him to give up peacefully, he said that if his son is killed “all hell will break loose,” according to ABC News.

 The father told ABC News that earlier in the week, he talked with his sons about the Boston Marathon bombings. He said that he was worried about them, and they told him everything was good.

 The Tsarnaev family moved to Dagestan from Kyrgyzstan in 2001, according to a spokesperson at a school Dzhokhar attended, Russia Today (RT) reports.

 “They arrived from Kyrgyzstan and departed to the US. I’m telling you they lived here for a year. Not the whole year. They arrived at the school in 2001 and departed in March 2002 … There were four of them—two sisters and two brothers… It’s written here that they are from Kyrgyzstan. The Chechens,” Irina Bandurina, the secretary at Makhachkala’s School No.1 told RT.

 The family had the status of refugees when they moved to Russia. The brother’s sisters also live in the U.S.

 Russia Today reports that Tamerlan, the eldest brother who was shot and killed by police, fled Chechnya with his family because of the conflict in the region.

In 2009, Tamerlan was arrested for beating his girlfriend who described him in one interview as a “very nice man,” according to the City of Cambridge Police Department, reports RT.

 Their mother, Zubeidat Tsarnaeva, 45, has a criminal record. On June 13, 2012, the police in Natick, Massachusetts, arrested the mother. She was charged with larceny of women’s clothing and two counts of malicious damage to property, according to RT.


Update—11:29 a.m.

Boston PD press conference:

Remaining suspect fled in Honda CRV.

CRV was abandoned.

A state police truck was not stolen last night, contrary to media reports.

Suspect 2, Djohar Tsarnaev was not in the Watertown home that police converged on+++Suspect still at large.

David Procopio, spokesperson


Update—11:18 a.m.

Travel in Boston virtually shut down, but planes are flying.

Local radio traffic reports say all clear on Boston’s major highways, Interstate 93, and Route 128.  These routes would normally be clogged with traffic at this time on a weekday, showing that overall city residents are complying with the cities order to stay home.

Local Radio WBZ reports that all cars entering and exiting Boston’s Logan Airport are being stopped and searched.  Earlier the FAA issued a no fly zone for three miles around the Watertown area where the heart of the police effort is taking place.  All MBTA bus and train service, as well as cab service in the City of Boston and surrounding area’s has been shut down.  This includes Amtrak train service into and out of Boston’s South Station.


Update—10:59 a.m.

Follow the live Boston Police press conference via


Update—10:50 a.m.

Terror Expert Max Abrahms tells the Epoch Times that motive of the brothers is “three-fold”

“First, my understanding is that these two brothers were exposed to the horrors of the Chechnyan war, and so vengeance—pure vengeance—was a factor.”

“Second, it seems they have self-radicalized in the United States, almost definitely through Jihadist websites. I understand that they had some presence online associating with Jihadist chat rooms.”

“And thirdly, they may have had some social problems integrating into the United States coming from abroad.”

“We overestimate the intelligence of terrorists. These terrorists apparently did not have a plan after Monday. They launched the attacks, and then everything afterwards was improvisational.”

Max Abrahms is a fellow at John Hopkins university who teaches courses on terrorism and international relations.


Update—10:43 a.m.

Killed Suspect Was a Professional Boxer+++Owned a Mercedes+++Didn’t Have Any American Friends

A photo gallery titled “Will Box for Passport” features photos of Tamerlan Tsarnaev the killed suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings. The captions indicate that Tsarnaev fled Chechnya with his family in the 90s due to the war and lived in Kazakhstan for four years before coming to the United States as a refugee.

Photos indicate that Tsarnaev owned a Mercedes, dressed in expensive European clothes, and liked the movie Borat.

“I’m very religious,” Tsarnaev said in one of the captions.

In one of the photos a shirtless Tsarnaev appears to be boxing with his girlfriend. The caption indicates that he usually keeps his shirt on because he is religious.

Another caption indicates that Tsarnaev did not drink or smoke and that he worried that “there are no values anymore” and that “people can’t control themselves.”

One of the photos is of Tsarnaev and his half-Portuguese and half-Italian girlfriend who, he claims in the caption, converted to Islam.

Tsarnaev practiced at the Wai Kru Mixed Martial Arts center in Boston. The center did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

In one of the captions Tsarnaev says that he has lived in the Unites States for five years. Officials said that the suspect has lived in the United States legally for one year.

“I don’t have a single American friend. I don’t understand them,” one of the captions quotes Tsarnaev.

One caption indicates that the suspect may have competed at the National Golden Gloves competition in Salt Lake City, Utah, in February.

Tsarnaev also indicated that he hoped to be selected to the U.S. Olympic team so he could receive a US passport. He said that he would only compete for Chechnya once it became independent and would rather compete for the United States than for Russia in the meantime.


Update—10:24 a.m.

The NYPD was on high alert for a short period of time due to reports of the suspect moving to New York in a grey Honda. The Boston police found the Honda without the suspect and the NYPD cancelled the alert.

Boston Police Department found the Gray ’99 Honda CRV with the MA Plate: 316-ES9 unoccupied.

The car is being processed for evidence by authorities, according to the Boston Police Department.

 In the meantime, the Boston Globe reports that most Boston businesses remain closed for the time being, as will the campuses of MIT and the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth: 

“UMass Dartmouth has learned that a person being sought in connection with the Boston Marathon bombing has been identified as a student registered at UMass Dartmouth,” stated a press release

“The campus is closed,” it stated. “Individuals on campus should shelter in place unless instructed otherwise.”

The press release stated that this page would be updated with details as they become available.


Update—10:10 a.m.

The MIT police officer killed Thursday night by Boston Marathon bombing suspects was Sean Collier, 26, of Somerville (see gallery).

 Collier at the time was responding to a reported disturbance, according to the Lowell Sun

At 10:20 p.m., police received reports of gunshots on the MIT campus. At 10:30 p.m., they found Collier in his vehicle with multiple gunshot wounds. He was pronounced dead at the Massachusetts General Hospital.

Collier’s death was the start of the massive manhunt that is currently underway on the streets of Boston for the suspects in the Boston Marathon bombings.

One of the suspects was killed in a police shot out. Djohar Tsarnaev, 19, remains at large and is considered dangerous, according to Boston Police.

Police Chief John DiFava described Collier as a dedicated officer who was extremely well liked by his colleagues and the MIT community, reports the Lowell Sun.

Collier was a MIT police officer since January 2012. He used to work as a civilian employee with the Somerville Police Department.


Update—10:03 a.m.

Suspect’s YouTube Account:

The killed suspect 26 year-old, Tamerlan Tsarnaev (born in Russia but legal U.S. resident since 2007) “liked” seven Islamist videos on YouTube, some of which discuss and encourage jihad. All of the videos on the account are by Sufist muslims. Sufism is an ascetic and esoteric Islamic sect. Only two videos associated with the account are on topics outside of Islam.

The following is a list of some of the videos on the account.

— Report on Russian men converting to Islam

— Video of sheikh Abdulhamid Al Djuhani advocating jihad in Chechnya

— Feature video on the rise of a new wave of militant muslims

— Music video titled “Let’s Dedicate Our Lives to Jihad”

The suspect also has a playlist titled “Terrorists,” containing two items, which have been deleted from YouTube.


Update—9:51 a.m.

Timeline of events since yesterday:

4.18.13 10:00 p.m. : Two suspects tied to the Boston Marathon killing allegedly rob a 7-11 convenience store near MIT. 

4.18.13 p.m. : The suspects then shoot and kill an MIT police officer in his car.

4.18.13 p.m.: The suspects steal a car and flee from the scene

4.19.13 a.m.: Police track the car and engage the two suspects. One suspect believed to be 26 year-old, Tamerlan Tsarnaev (born in Russia but legal U.S. resident since 2007) died  in the shoot out.

4.19.13 a.m.: His younger brother 19 year-old Dhjokar Tsarnaev, born in Kyrgystan is still at large, pursued by the police.

4.19.13 6:00 a.m.: Boston police tells residents to stay at home, Boston transit it shut down.


Update—9:46 a.m.

“Police move in on house in Watertown Smell of smoke/ explosive, heavily armed police hanging from outside of AP. helicopter above,” Bill Neely of ITV tweets on the ground in Boston. says it’s an address on Willow Park. 


Update—9:24 a.m.

 The Boston Police Department gave the following #MediaAlert on Twitter, “WARNING: Do Not Compromise Officer Safety by Broadcasting Tactical Positions of Homes Being Searched,” tweeted at 8:52 a.m. Eastern Standard Time.

—Massachusetts State Police remind all residents in Watertown, Boston, and residents of Cambridge, Belmont, Newton and surrounding towns, that stay in home order is for them to stay home. The order remains in place as the manhunt for the Boston Marathon bombers is underway.

Travel is severely impaired 


Update—9:00 a.m.

From Boston PD Twitter Feed: Boston Police Dept. ‏@Boston_Police 21m

#WANTED: Suspect identified as 19 year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev of Cambridge. Suspect considered armed & dangerous. (see gallery)


Update—8:39 a.m.

The surviving suspect’s Djohar Tsarnaev’s social media page ( can be found here: (see gallery)

Father: “My son is a true angel.  Dzhokhar is a second-year medical student in the U.S. He is such an intelligent boy. We expected him to come on holidays here.”


Update—8:35 a.m.

Residents of Boston and area suburbs have been ordered to “shelter in place,”  meaning stay in their homes with the doors locked.

Suburbs also under lock down include Watertown, Belmont and Cambridge Mass.

Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis made the announcement that the entire city should stay indoors at a news conference.

Gov. Deval Patrick said the remaining suspect, described as a dangerous terrorist, was still on the loose.

The developments came after the suspects killed an MIT police officer overnight, injured a transit officer in a firefight and threw explosive devices at police during their getaway attempt, authorities said as the manhunt intensified.

The suspects were identified to The Associated Press as coming from the Russian region near Chechnya, which has been plagued by an Islamic insurgency stemming from separatist wars. A law enforcement intelligence bulletin obtained by the AP identified the surviving bomb suspect as Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, a 19-year-old who had been living in Cambridge, just outside Boston for a year, and said he “may be armed and dangerous.”

Read the full article here.

This story will be updated.

The Associated Press and Epoch Times staff members Genevieve Belmaker, Jan Jekielek, Kelly Ni, Joshua Philipp and Valentin Schmid contributed to this report.

Epoch Times Staff
Epoch Times Staff