Australian Manufacturing Program Brings Back the Polly Waffle

April 30, 2020 Updated: April 30, 2020

The classic Polly Waffle chocolate bar is set to return to Australian supermarkets after receiving a government funding boost in the wake of the CCP virus outbreak.

The Morrison government will provide $1 million (US$656,000) to South Australian confectionery company Robern Menz, who also revived the Violet Crumble chocolate bar last year.

Over a decade after being pulled from shelves, the once-famous log of gooey and crunchy candy will be brought back to life in early 2021.

This is part of the Australian government’s $215 million cash splash to create new jobs and bring manufacturing home amid the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) virus pandemic, commonly known as novel coronavirus.

Industry Minister Karen Andrews told Channel 7’s Sunrise on April 30 that funding will go towards building a new production line to produce the Polly Waffle, and in the process create 38 ongoing jobs.

“It’s a big win for South Australia, for Australia and it’s part of a broader program—the Manufacturing Modernisation Fund—that we’re rolling out the announcement today,” she said.

Andrews said the public funding injection couldn’t come at a better time.

“As we face the coronavirus pandemic and look to come out the other side stronger, this investment will be more critical than ever,” she said.

The first Polly Waffle bar was produced in Melbourne until 2009 and had a cult following among baby boomers. It was pulled from shelves, creating an uproar.

There has been community support for a revival, with one Facebook group gaining over 56,000 members. Members of the group posted memes about the candy.