The ASUU strike continues, but the federal government has withdrawn its ultimatum that lecturers must return to class or be fired.
Dr. Doyin Okupe, senior special assistant to President Goodluck Jonathan, told reporters on Tuesday that the ultimatum was withdrawn, reported the Vanguard.
“Right now, the issue of ultimatum is not a matter for discussion anymore,” he said. “There has been substantial compliance nationwide. If I say you must return to work on the 9th and 70% of the people that I am talking to have returned to work, that is substantial compliance.”
While some lecturers have returned to work after the December 9 deadline passed, there were problems at some universities.
In one case, a fracas broke out at the University of Benin in Edo State on Monday after members of the union disrupted lecturers as they were holding classes.
Okupe also said that the Central Bank of Nigeria has confirmed the deposit of N200 billion. The deposit was one of the conditions the ASUU leadership demanded before the strike ends.
Dr. Nasir Fagge, leader of the union, hasn’t yet commented on the latest update. Previously he said that the government had not proven it deposited the money.