Ammon Bundy and Members of Oregon Protest Arrested After Confrontation With FBI: Reports

January 26, 2016 Updated: January 26, 2016

Oregon occupation leader Ammon Bundy was arrested during a confrontation with the FBI and state police on Tuesday night. Shots were apparently fired and one person died, according to Oregon media reports.

Bundy and a few of his followers were stopped en route to a community meeting in John Day, located around 70 miles away, KATU-TV reported.

Shots were fired when the law enforcement officials made the stop, the station said. Ammon Bundy, Ryan Bundy, Brian Cavalier, Shawna Cox, and Ryan W. Payne were then arrested.

One person died, and it is unclear who fired first, according to KATU and The Oregonian.

Ryan Bundy, 43, suffered a minor gunshot wound and was taken into custody, the paper said. 

The identity of the person who was killed has not been released.

Their arrests came on the 25th day of their occupation. Bundy and about three dozen other people occupied a wildlife refuge starting earlier this month after two local ranchers were sent to prison for setting fires on federal land.

Oregon’s governor last week said she’s tired of the protest in the southeastern corner of the state.

“The residents of Harney County have been overlooked and underserved by federal officials’ response thus far,” Gov. Kate Brown said last week, according to CNN. “This spectacle of lawlessness must end. And until Harney County is free of it I will not stop insisting that federal officials enforce the law.”

The Oregon Department of Transportation reported on its website that U.S. 395 was closed between the towns of Burns and John Day on Tuesday evening. The Oregonian reported that there had been a meeting scheduled between some members of the group and local residents in John Day on Tuesday night.

Bundy is the son of Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy, who was involved in a high-profile 2014 standoff with the government over grazing rights.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.