A Kid Sticks His Head in a Massage Bed to Predictable Results

March 14, 2016 Updated: March 14, 2016
FONT BFONT SText size

Curious kids in China find that their head fits into the face hole of massage beds, and decide to stick their heads in. Like the stuck hand in the cookie jar, however, the kids found extrication to be the tough part.

In the late afternoon of Mar. 13, an 11-year-old boy found himself awkwardly trapped head first in a massage bed in a massage parlor in the city of Hangzhou in Zhejiang Province, according to Hangzhou Net. Fortunately for the boy, the hole in the bed, which allows adult massage customers to breathe while lying facedown, was just wide enough to prevent any suffocation.

Local firefighters were called in to help the boy out of his uncomfortable predicament. After widening the face hole with cutting tool, the firefighters removed the boy’s down jacket, held his body in a vertical position, and gently eased his head out of the hole. The kid was uninjured.

There are are good number of cases of kids getting their head stuck in massage beds in China. In most cases, firefighters had to completely slice open the massage bed to free the child.

In a notable 2013 case, television footage shows rescuers slice open a massage bed with cutting tools to rescue a 5-year-old Chinese girl from Haimen, Jiangsu Province.