4 in 5 Travellers to England From Amber Locations Stuck to Quarantine Rules: Survey

By PA
PA
PA
September 2, 2021 Updated: September 2, 2021

Four out of five arrivals from amber list locations adhered to coronavirus quarantine requirements in July, research suggests.

Some 83 percent of respondents to an Office for National Statistics (ONS) survey of 848 adults arriving in England from an amber country or territory between July 12 and 17 said they self-isolated.

They were required to quarantine for 10 days unless they were exempt due to their job, or they took part in the Test to Release scheme.

Nine out of 10 respondents said they took both of the required day-two and day-eight coronavirus tests.

Overall, 77 percent claimed they were “fully adherent” to both quarantine and coronavirus testing obligations, down from 82 percent the previous month.

Travellers were only deemed to have met the self-isolation requirements if they reported that they did not leave their accommodation—except to get or return a test, receive emergency medical treatment, or visit a hospital—or receive any visitors apart from those supporting their personal care.

Around three in five respondents (59 percent) said they fully understood the rules in place during quarantine, while the remaining 41 percent either misunderstood or were unsure of them.

Since July 19, people arriving in the UK from amber tier countries and territories have not been required to enter quarantine if they are fully vaccinated.

By Neil Lancefield

PA