2 Teens Found Dead Inside Trailer From Apparent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

October 21, 2019 Updated: October 22, 2019

Two teenage boys were found dead in a trailer in Okfuskee County on Sunday after apparent carbon monoxide poisoning, KTUL reports.

According to the publication, the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation said the boys, aged 14 and 15, had brought a portable gas generator inside a travel trailer.

The pair, who were friends, were said to be using the generator after severe storms knocked out power in the area.

They were later found dead by the father of the younger boy who went to check on them.

KTUL spoke to the mother of the 15-year-old , who they identified as Matthew Harrison.

She said: “Matt got the idea to take the generator in the trailer and they’d have electricity. You never put a generator in a trailer.”

The shocked mother, Le Ann, said her husband had gone to check on the boys after they stopped answering their phones. Le Ann then reportedly tried to save them.

She explained: “The minute I went out in the trailer, it took my breath … And I tried to work with him and give him CPR, but it was just too late. I felt his pulse, and there was none.”

The heartbroken mother said she is still traumatized by the event and does not feel that she can step inside the trailer again.

Le Ann added: “It’s going to take a while to forget that image, but I’m like you, I’m going to think of the good things. You couldn’t ask more out of the boy.”

Weleetka Public School, where the boys are believed to be students, posted a statement on its website following news of the deaths.

It read: “It is with great sadness we inform you that two of our students have died in a tragic accident. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families.”

The school said it will be providing extra counselors to its students during this difficult time.

It added: “The Junior High football game at Maud on Tuesday, Oct. 22, has been cancelled. The Homecoming festivities for this week, Oct. 21-25, have been postponed.

“Prayers for the families, our students, and our staff would be appreciated.”

The medical examiner confirmed that he believes this is a case of carbon monoxide poisoning.

A report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention explains: “Carbon monoxide (CO) is found in fumes produced any time fuel is burned in vehicles, small engines, stoves, lanterns, grills, fireplaces, gas ranges, or furnaces.”

CO is highly dangerous because it is a colorless and odorless gas. It can build up indoors and poison people who breathe it in, according to the report.

It states that the most common symptoms of CO poisoning are “headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion.”

The symptoms are often described as “flu-like.”

A funeral date for the boys has not yet been confirmed.

RECOMMENDED