19-Year-Old Brussels Attack Survivor From US Gives First Interview From Hospital
In a two-and-a-half-minute video, Zaventem Airport attack survivor Mason Wells tells of his survival experience from the moment the first blast went off on the morning of March 22.
However, Wells is no stranger to terror attacks.
According to a Daily News report, the 19-year-old Mormon Missionary from Sandy, Utah, was in France at a Mormon mission during the attacks in Paris last year, and back in 2013 he was waiting near the finish line of the Boston Marathon when the homemade bombs went off.
In the video, Wells, seemingly answering questions from reporters, responds with:
“I remember seeing fire in front of my face and also kind of fire down by my feet on the ground, we were really close, I feel lucky to escape with what I did.
“I was sitting there on the sidewalk outside of the airport, there was a lot of blood, there was a feeling of calm, and peace, it was beyond just the feeling of shock that I had.
“For the moment I’m just trying to focus in on getting everything better right now.
“I don’t know why, um, I was in certain areas when certain things happened, but what I do know is that I’ve had people around me that have always taken care of me, so I would say I’m very lucky to know the people that I know, my friends and family, they’re great people.”
Wells’ father, Chad Wells, told ABC News that this was “his third terrorist attack,” and said his family is hopeful that he will make a full recovery, noting he was at “ground zero” of the Brussels’ explosion.