A conference held by the United Nations International Telecommunications Union was disrupted by suspected hacking, the organization said Thursday.
“The incident blocked civil society, media, and other interested parties from following the proceedings, and prevented access to the wealth of online information” presented by the ITU, it said in a statement. It added, “Some delegates were frustrated at being unable to access some of the online working documents that were being considered by the meeting.”
The closed-door Dubai conference is being held to update the ITU’s treaty, which has prompted warnings from Google and online activist groups that the U.N. might be trying to take over the Internet, threatening privacy and using a top-down approach in controlling the flow of information on the Web.
Specifically, there were concerns that the Chinese and Russian governments would have too much sway over the proceedings, but the ITU earlier this week sought to assuage such fears.
“It is ironic that the very people who claim to be fighting for a free Internet are preventing those around the world trying to follow the event online from getting access,” ITU Secretary-General Hamadoun Touré was quoted in the ITU statement as saying.
Last week, hacker collective Anonymous posted a video on YouTube, perhaps warning that it would do something to “keep the Internet open,” but it did not take responsibility for any hacking on Wednesday.
The Epoch Times publishes in 35 countries and in 19 languages. Subscribe to our e-newsletter.