There is nothing better than finding a new way to do something that is easier and better than what you did before. Thanks to the “State of Slim” book, I have discovered how to make “cream cheese” out of Greek yogurt. This cream cheese is super easy to make and a great base for healthy dips and toppings.
Besides having a fabulous texture and taste, Greek yogurt provides many health benefits. Like its regular yogurt cousins, Greek yogurt is known for having live and active cultures that contain good-for-you bacteria. Also, like all yogurts, Greek yogurt is made from milk products, which have been found to be beneficial for dieting.
Those who consume more healthy dairy products (low in fat, sugar, and salt) when dieting have been shown to lose more weight. And as is the case with all yogurts, they are packed with life enhancing vitamins and minerals, such as potassium, phosphorous, riboflavin, iodine, zinc, vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid), and vitamin B12.
In addition to these attributes, Greek yogurt is higher in protein, containing about 15 –20 grams per serving. And, unlike regular yogurt, it is much lower in sugar, containing about half the amount. There is even less salt in Greek yogurts. This is definitely a heart- healthy, diabetes-managing and dieter-friendly food. Eat it as a snack during the day, and you will avoid big mood swings too.
Greek yogurt is an easy substitute for sour cream. And now, I have discovered it can be a great substitute for cream cheese. This means it can be incorporated into just about any recipe. It is great for dips, sauces and toppings, adding a lot of health benefits without calories.
Here is an easy way to make Greek yogurt “cream cheese”:
- 2 cups nonfat Greek yogurt
- Big rubber band
- Bowl, preferably with a cover
1. Cut the cheesecloth to cover the opening of the bowl. Make sure there is enough to go over the sides of the bowl.
2. Place the cheesecloth over the bowl and secure it with a big rubber band.
3. Plop the Greek yogurt on top of the cheesecloth. Spread it slightly so it covers the cheesecloth.
4. Cover it with the top or place plastic wrap loosely over the top. Put the bowl in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 8 hours until the moisture has seeped out and into the bottom of the bowl.
5. Place the cream cheese mixture in an airtight container to use as needed. It is good for at least a couple of weeks.
How to make a delicious, Greek yogurt “cream cheese” dip:
- 1 cup Greek yogurt cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper, chopped
- Raw vegetables for dipping: carrots, celery, jicama, endive, and the like
1. Place the cream cheese in a bowl. Add the measured horseradish and roasted red pepper. Stir until well-mixed.
2. Clean and cut raw vegetables for dipping: carrots, celery, jicama, endive, and the like.
3. Place the dip in an attractive serving bowl on a plate surrounded by your favorite raw vegetables. It’s great for snacks and parties.
Serving size: good for one or many
You can’t beat this yummy, healthy “cream cheese” dip made with Greek yogurt. Check out my blog for other dip ideas.
Enjoy and live vibrantly!