Registration for the $200 travel vouchers opened at 10 a.m. on Friday but those trying to apply for a voucher were told the site was "unable to process this request," and even Business Victoria's telephone service line was held up with long waiting times.
Business Victoria announced via a post on Twitter that the higher demand for the vouchers had forced them to temporarily removed the application button to allow those registering to complete their application.
The news of the failure was met with criticism as people took to Twitter to voice their frustrations.
Maria Abrahams said in a post that she was very disappointed and had been trying to register for the scheme since 9:30 am on Friday.
"Have been trying since 9.30 this morning. Very disappointing! I will continue to try, however, can you please notify when applications will open again?" Abrahams said.
Successful applicants of the scheme will get back $200 if they spend $400 on accommodation, tours or other attractions in regional Victoria. But they must use their voucher between Dec. 12, 2020, and Jan. 22, 2021.
There will be 120,000 vouchers available in total with round two going live Jan. 20 and the third on March 30.
The online application platform uses Salesforce an American tech company also behind the states new QR code check-in system, which was introduced as an advancement to its contact tracing practices.