Victoria's hotel quarantine inquiry will hold an extraordinary hearing on Tuesday after receiving new evidence from the state's Department of Human Health and Services last week, including emails from Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton that bring into question his testimony.
Sutton has become the latest senior government representative to come under fire for giving an alleged inaccurate testimony. But has not been contacted by the board of inquiry since the announcement to restart.
Sutton told the inquiry in September that he was not aware private security were guarding quarantined returnees until he was notified about the outbreak at Rydges on Swanston.
The Age notified the board of inquiry about the emails, prompting DHHS to provide further evidence.
In light of the revelation, Sutton has said that he stands by his statement to the inquiry that he "was not aware" about the use of private security before the outbreak in late May.
"If I have missed a reference to security ... when the program was established, I'm sorry, it hasn't registered," he said. "So when I've spoken to the inquiry to say exactly that, that was the case.
Sutton claims that when he replied to an email thread on March 27 involving DHHS and the federal government's Home Affairs Assistant Secretary Sandra Jeffery, he "did not register anything was being said about private security," he said.
The email discovery and additional submissions to the inquiry from DHHS come after requests were made to Premier Daniel Andrews and all his office staff to provide their phone records.
After the final hearing by Andrews on Sept. 25 additional submissions were made by then-Health Minister Jenny Mikakos and then-Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton.
This sparked a probe into Andrews' testimony. Ashton's phone records showed there was a six-minute window that was not accounted for in the testimonies.