Prominent Australian lawyers Brett Walker and Michael Wyles are backing a Mornington Peninsula hotelier to challenge the Victorian government's controversial COVID-19 five-kilometre travel restriction.
Walker, who was part of the Ruby Princess Special Commissions inquiry earlier this year, will team up with Wyles, a vocal critic of the Andrews government's lockdown measures, to represent Julian Gerner the owner of a bar and restaurant in Sorrento, Mornington Peninsula.
"This is not what we signed up for and is inconsistent with a free society, representative democratic government and civilised living. Aggressive and heavy-handed enforcement of these restrictions has also alarmed most fair-minded people," he said.
The news comes after the World Health Organisation's special envoy, David Nabarro appealed to world leaders not to "advocate lockdowns as the primary means of control of this virus."Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews and Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton have stood firm on keeping restrictions in place in an "aggressive suppression" strategy to combat CCP virus spread.
Andrews has hinted in recent days that some restrictions will ease on Oct. 19. But they will primarily centre on gatherings and movement. Easing of restrictions for businesses will commence when the government is confident to do so.
In response to WHO's new advice, Sutton said the government "is not using lockdown interminably, we are using the restrictions that are in place now to drive the case numbers down so that we can get to the very thing that WHO is talking about," he said.