The man,50s, is from Sydney’s inner eastern suburbs and Berejikilian noted that the individual was very active in his community while potentially infectious.
She noted he was also very pedantic about using QR codes to check-in and out of venues, making contact tracing easier for health authorities.
“This person did everything right,” Berejiklian said. “But it goes to show that we can’t take anything for granted.”
NSW Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant said authorities believe that the man was infectious since last Friday. Contact tracing is underway and close contacts are being tested and self-isolating.
NSW Health is currently completing genome sequencing to determine where the man contracted the virus, with results to be expected in the early hours of tomorrow morning.
- Bondi Junction Event Cinemas in Westfield— The Courier
- Rushcutters’s Bay Figgo Restaurant on Friday, April 30.
- Silverwater Tucker’s Barbecue—Saturday, May 1
- Annandale Barbecues Galore—Saturday, May 1 between 2 and 3 p.m.
- Casula Barbecues Galore Crossroads—Saturday, May 1.
“People in the eastern suburbs should be listening to these messages and getting tested,” Hazzard said.