The realisation that a Queensland public hospital patient with advanced cancer had missed receiving scan results has revealed that as many as 9,000 patients could have been affected by lack of adequate analysis.
The patient in question had undergone scans for a separate medical condition and was unaware they had advanced cancer.
But by the time they arrived at the Caboolture Hospital emergency department in a serious condition earlier in September, five weeks had passed without scan results having been returned.
The patient passed away, with the issue flagging potentially thousands more cases of missed results dating back to April 2023.
The issue relates to patients who underwent medical imaging for surgical, cardiac, respiratory, and paediatric events who were referred to the Specialist Outpatient Department from April 1, 2023, to Sept. 4, 2025.
Some 20,000 images will now need to be studied in a two-week period.
Chief Medical Officer for Metro North Health Dr. Elizabeth Rushbrook described the “systems issue” at the hospital north of Brisbane as “the worst case scenario.”
“This is not OK,” he told reporters on Sept. 30.
“As soon as we discovered it was a systems issue, we’ve assumed that every single one of those reports hasn’t been reviewed, so we want to have a look at all those 9,000 patients to be sure.
“I want to leave no stone unturned.”
Rushbrook said the health service had introduced “new robust processes to ensure imaging results are consistently shared with treating specialists going forward.”
“We believe most of these records were reviewed and actioned,” she said.
“However, to be certain, we have commenced a review related to these patients to ensure they receive appropriate follow-up care.
“A dedicated expert clinical team is undertaking this work and any patients who require follow-up care will be contacted directly by Caboolture Hospital with clear information and next steps.”
There was no suggestion that the five-week delay in the cancer patient’s results contributed to their death.
“I understand this news may be distressing for patients and families, and I want to reassure our community that this review is being treated as an absolute priority,” Rushbrook said.
“Importantly, no medical imaging records have been lost. All results remain securely stored in each patient’s digital medical record.”
It also comes after it was revealed Townsville Hospital had not distributed urology test results and had not provided follow-up support for patients.
Queensland Premier David Crisafulli told media he wanted transparency around the hospital’s actions.
“It is vital that every bit of information that the hospital has, that they share it,” he said.







