Ottawa Police Detective Found Guilty of Discreditable Conduct After Investigating Infant Deaths

Ottawa Police Detective Found Guilty of Discreditable Conduct After Investigating Infant Deaths
Ottawa Police Service Detective Helen Grus (L) addresses supporters following a sentencing hearing on Aug. 18, 2026. Matthew Horwood/The Epoch Times
|Updated:
0:00

OTTAWA—Ottawa Police Service (OPS) detective Helen Grus will be demoted for two years after a police tribunal found her guilty of discreditable conduct related to her investigation into the sudden deaths of nine Ottawa children.

“The appropriate disposition for the facts of Detective Grus’ misconduct demands a period of demotion. This will be necessary to reaffirm to the public that the police take seriously the abuse of police powers, and that such misconduct will be met firmly with sufficient deterrence,” presiding officer Chris Renwick said during the sentencing hearing on Aug. 18.

Grus will be demoted from the rank of first-class constable to the rank of second-class constable for a period of 24 months, which will result in a reduction in her pay.

Grus, a former detective with the OPS sexual assault and child abuse unit (SACA), was found guilty in March 2025 of discreditable conduct for undertaking an “unauthorized project” between June 2020 and January 2022. Grus investigated the sudden deaths of nine Ottawa children, in cases in which she had no assigned role, by accessing OPS files without recording her actions.

Grus is alleged to have accessed Ottawa police files and then contacted the coroner’s office to learn the COVID-19 vaccination status of the parents, as she believed there could be a link between the two.

The OPS said also Grus contacted the father of a deceased infant to ask about the COVID-19 vaccination status of his wife, without the knowledge or authorization of the lead detective on the case.

Grus had testified during the trial in 2024 that she had been informed of a “doubling if not tripling of baby deaths” that happened after the rollout of the COVID-19 vaccines, which concerned her. Grus also said two detectives had also told her of incidents where “fully alert and healthy babies” had suddenly died in their mothers’ arms.
At the outset of the trial in 2023, Renwick said that the hearings should not become focused on “opinions and theories linking vaccination to child deaths.”

Grus’ defence lawyers had argued that Grus’ actions did not constitute a breach of privacy because the information she sought was not used for personal reasons or shared outside the police service.

They also said that since Grus was acting as a whistleblower investigating potential child deaths from COVID-19 vaccines, her actions should be viewed with more leniency.

Hearing Decision

Reading excerpts from his 38-page decision, Renwick said demotion was the most serious disciplinary measure after dismissal, but was warranted given what he described as the harm resulting from Grus’ unauthorized inquiries.

Renwick said the OPS and the broader Ottawa community had been operating “in the most challenging environment” during the COVID-19 pandemic, which was “further complicated” by pandemic restrictions and the OPS’ mandatory vaccination policy.

The tribunal found that Grus “deliberately inserted herself into an investigation, self-initiated an unauthorized project, and misused the authority of her position,” Renwick said. He added that her actions had “significantly damaged” public trust in the OPS.

Renwick said the disciplinary proceedings had attracted national attention because of their connection to the COVID-19 pandemic and the “perceived linkages” between COVID-19 vaccines and an increase in infant deaths.

Renwick said he did not accept Grus’ arguments that her actions were conducted in good faith, were without malice, or had no victims. He said she was “grossly naive not to comprehend the severity of her independent actions.”

Renwick said defence lawyers had argued that Grus’ transfer from SACA to another investigative unit was “punitive,” while her suspension and subsequent work restrictions were “procedurally unfair.” However, he said the tribunal did not have authority to rule on those matters.

“This tribunal is not the appropriate body to make rulings on the actions of an employer when determining parameters or limitations placed on an employee to mitigate perceived damage resulting from alleged conduct,” he said.

Renwick also noted that Grus had an “exemplary” employment history of over 23 years as a police officer, and had consistently had above-average performance reviews and letters of commendation from her superiors.

Renwick said while the 20 reference letters and affidavits had been ruled inadmissible for the hearing, they all “speak to her character, dedication, and skill as an investigator.” He said her positive employment history is a “strong mitigating factor.”

“I am equally impressed by Detective Bruce’s determination to continue to work through this disciplinary process, and that her dedication and skills as an investigator remain forefront,” he said.

Grus Responds

At the end of the hearing, Grus addressed Renwick and said she would “continue to serve Ottawa and the entire community to the best of my ability, God so help me.”

Grus also addressed dozens of supporters gathered outside the police station where the hearing was held, urging them to “choose kindness, truth, compassion, and respect,” and saying, “I know these officers love us, and we love them.” Grus also said she would be appealing the decision.

Grus’s lawyer, Bath-Shéba van den Berg, said they had a “very long fight ahead.” Van den Berg said she was concerned that the decision sent the message that police officers “will not have a fair hearing, and that is very disconcerting in the area of law enforcement.”

“We need this decision to be quashed and overturned. We also need the truth to be told and to be spread internationally,” van den Berg said.