Labor Defends Senior Health Cover Cuts, Says Policy Built During China Cash Surge

The opposition argues it could push 40,000 to 90,000 off private health cover onto the public system.
Labor Defends Senior Health Cover Cuts, Says Policy Built During China Cash Surge
Australian Health Minister Mark Butler speaks to the media at Parliament House in Canberra, Australia on Feb. 3, 2026. Hilary Wardhaugh/Getty Images
|Updated:
0:00

The health minister is defending Labor’s plan to strip higher private health insurance rebates from older Australians, arguing the policy was born in an era of Chinese-fuelled budget surpluses.

The decision to give a higher rebate to over-65s was introduced during the Howard government era to encourage more individuals to take up private health and free up the public system.

Google LogoMark Us Preferred on Google
Crystal-Rose Jones
Crystal-Rose Jones
Author
Crystal-Rose Jones is a reporter based in Australia. She previously worked at News Corp for 16 years as a senior journalist and editor.